Reflex Sight

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
bkraft
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 57644

Reflex Sight

Post by bkraft »

Could some one please tell me what qualifies as a reflex red dot sight, of the type being experimented with for Production classes for shooters 60+. Would an Ultra Dot or a similar type sight be legal?
User avatar United States of America
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Re: Reflex Sight

Post by contender1121 »

It is unfortunate that the water got muddied by using the word "reflex". I believe the intent was to allow dot type sights (be they red or whatever color) as a generic. They are all basically the same by way of having the dot generated from a point behind an objective lens or screen. Hence the term "reflex". The dot appears to float in mid-air and is not projected beyond the objective or screen as in a laser beam. There are several variations in design such as 1" or 30mm tubes that are attached with regular scope rings, compact versions that sit on a Picatinny rail and more open designs that are often seen on assault-type rifles.
I have two of the compact designs, a Sig and a Holosun (basically identical devices with the Sig being about $50 less expensive). The Sig is on a Small Bore Production TC and the Holosun is on a Daisy 747, Production air pistol. I shot a 40 and a 39 with the latter this past Tuesday. So I'm sold. I hope they are allowed to be used on a permanent basis.
If you have a quality red dot sight and you are complaining that the dot is "smeared" or not round, the most likely cause is astigmatism in your eye(s). I found this out as a result of cataract surgery. Dot is now perfectly round on both brands of my sights.
Yes, your Ultra Dot is legal (again in my opinion). Someone, please correct me if I have it wrong.
United States of America
captainjohn
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 39199

Post by captainjohn »

Reflux is just a blanket term, not to call out anyone manufacturer. Must have ZERO magnification,shooter be 60+ years of age. Thought behind was to bring shooters and guns back out shooting again for those having difficulty seeing traditional iron sights. After trial period, wil be voted on by the Membership.
Hope this helps, Have a great day shooting !
John Richards
IHMSA 39199L
Region 5 Director
IHMSA Industry Director
Minnesota State Director
NRA Life Member
United States of America
bkraft
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 57644

Post by bkraft »

Thank you guys, that's what I wanted to know.
Shoot well, shoot safe.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

captainjohn wrote:Reflux is just a blanket term, not to call out anyone manufacturer. Must have ZERO magnification,shooter be 60+ years of age. Thought behind was to bring shooters and guns back out shooting again for those having difficulty seeing traditional iron sights. After trial period, wil be voted on by the Membership.
Hope this helps, Have a great day shooting !
I don't remember it that way. At the meeting, I specifically questioned the difference between reflex & red dot, and used my wife's Tasco red dot scope style as an example. The specific answer was no, red dot scopes are not allowed, reflex only. The reflex sights have crude Allen wrench adjustments, whereas the scope tube has finger adjustment clicks.

In a posting on this forum dated July 25, 2017, Jackie Brown spoke in detail that this proposal was REFLEX sights, and he described that these sights were non magnifying and weighed less than 4 ounces. There is no doubt the proposal was limited to REFLEX sights and not to include scope style optics. Shortly after, Jim Fields sent me a photo of his revolver with a REFLEX sight. Since this was Jim's idea, it would appear that his intent was limited to REFLEX sights.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

The September issue of IHMSA News has the rule addendum, it specifically states REFLEX.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
contender1121
Class C

Post by contender1121 »

I still think we are fighting a battle of semantics here. In both references cited above the tube-type red dot sights and the open design reflex sights have been lumped together for purposes of example and discussion. Perhaps the title used in the first reference of "reflector sights" would be a better catch-all term as all examples cited fall into that category.

aggshooter: you used the term "scope" in lieu of "sight" in your first comment. By any chance did your wife's sight have any magnification?
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Why not get a ruling from Dell Taylor, Rules Committee?

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
contender1121
Class C

Post by contender1121 »

19 Turkeys wrote:Why not get a ruling from Dell Taylor, Rules Committee?

Steve W.
I wholeheartedly agree since I'm using two of the compact RDS and the OKC match director has no problems with them. Mr. Taylor allegedly abhors electronic communication so if someone knows how to get the gist of this thread to him, please do.