Caliber for 1/2 scale

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
oldnewbie
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Caliber for 1/2 scale

Post by oldnewbie »

What is a good caliber for half scale without going to a custom barrel? Just looking to start cheap on it with either contender or encore.

Thanks
OldNewbie

Gonna give it a try again. :)
User avatar United States of America
Rodent
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 27115

Re: Caliber for 1/2 scale

Post by Rodent »

The 223 would be a good place to start. I would think that anything that you curently have that would work with the full scalle targets should also work for 1/2 scale. Good luck in your search.

Mike
Co-Match Director - Piedmont Sportsman Club in Gordonsville Virginia
HandgunHTR
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57133

Post by HandgunHTR »

I started off shooting 1/2 scale with my 7TCU.

I then shot a few entries with my 6.5TCU.

Then I found a great deal on an XP-100 in .221 Fireball and that is what I am using now.
marshall623
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57357

Post by marshall623 »

In the T/C's 223 will be the easiest to run across if you want a dedicacted 1/2 scale barrel , but like Mike said what ever you shoot BB with will work for 1/2 size. I use reduced loads for C & P in my 223 to keep from damaging targets. Heck I even have shot them with 7-30 waters / cast bullets no doubt the gun and loads could could hit 40 I just come up short on my end :-??
United States of America
johnranderson01
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 48827

Post by johnranderson01 »

I use a .22BR for 1/2 size open sights. I use a 1 in 7 twist barrel and shoot 80 grain bullets. I use a mild charge of Varget and have no issues with damaging targets. I can also use this combination on BB targets although I usually switch to 90 grain bullets for the rams. My scoped gun is currently chambered for 6BR which works very well also, but when that barrel wears out I will replace it with one in .22 BR.
John
John
IHMSA 48827L
Johnranderson21@gmail.com
RockinHRacin
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55010

Post by RockinHRacin »

I may be the odd man out, but I use a .243 for both BBUAS and HSUAS. If it had open sights on it, I'd use it for U...(Savage Striker). The thing is a laser beam at 2,300 fps. Only 4 clicks difference between chickens and rams... Boy do the targets drop fast... BWAHAHAHA (no target damage yet...)

Chris
God created Electronic Warfare Maintenance Technicians so pilots would have heroes too.
oldnewbie
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by oldnewbie »

RockinHRacin wrote:I may be the odd man out, but I use a .243 for both BBUAS and HSUAS. If it had open sights on it, I'd use it for U...(Savage Striker). The thing is a laser beam at 2,300 fps. Only 4 clicks difference between chickens and rams... Boy do the targets drop fast... BWAHAHAHA (no target damage yet...)

Chris
Chris,

What weight bullet do you use with the 243. I was thinking about that caliber, it would save me in buying dies/brass since I have a 243 rifle.

Brian
OldNewbie

Gonna give it a try again. :)
RockinHRacin
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55010

Post by RockinHRacin »

95 grain Hornady SST... I'm going to change it as it's putting me in the poor house, but it shoots great.

You really need to watch out with the .243 though. The bullet can travel waaaay too fast. Even loaded down, people shooting next to you will curse your name...and anyone watching laughs because the target fall so quickly.

Chris
God created Electronic Warfare Maintenance Technicians so pilots would have heroes too.
KickBass
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57314

Post by KickBass »

Of your existing guns, just take the one that shoots the best groups and use that. As far as getting a new barrel, .222 is another good choice, typically a good shooting cartridge. But there is nothing wrong with getting a good BB caliber (7 TCU, 7 BR, etc.) and using it for both full scale and half scale.
IHMSA editor
4th grade spelling bee champion
Homecoming King runner up--'88, '89 Diamond (MO) HS
Past prom date for Tina "Boom Boom" Barlett
Rodent
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 27115

Post by Rodent »

I know that alot of people use the same gun for the Big Boys as they do for 1/2 scale. I like to use a different gun for everything as it is a great excuse to have more guns. :D

Mike
Co-Match Director - Piedmont Sportsman Club in Gordonsville Virginia