bolt guns

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
338whisper2
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57411

bolt guns

Post by 338whisper2 »

Just trying to understand why you can shoot bolt guns in production SB, but not in BB,FP,1/2? :-?
Life member IHMSA 57411L
Life member NRA
80X80
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: bolt guns

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Short answer is that you can not. Bolt guns are not Production legal except for air pistol.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
22Bobcat
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 22Bobcat »

They use them in IMSSU but NOT IHMSA..

:-B

Cody Abel
United States of America
338whisper2
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57411

Post by 338whisper2 »

They did in the past why not now?
Life member IHMSA 57411L
Life member NRA
80X80
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

IHMSA did not ever approve bolt guns in Production Class. The Europeans wanted them approved in the early '80's and it was nixed. Thus, the European countries left IHMSA and formed IMMSU where as mentioned earlier they are legal.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I thought IHMSA at one time allowed stock XP-100s in .221 Fireball to be shot in Production but that turned out not to be practical so they were never used much. I think one of our club members tried it several times but with the lousy sights and low knock down power he ended up using a TC. Correct me if I'm wrong Steve.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

# 1

Post by ole95 »

2012 rules book
section VI:Handguns

A Production
#1 A [pistol or revolver that is or was a manufacturer's catalog product and is or was readily available to the general public.

#18 Bolt action handguns are allowed for air pistol Production handguns ONLY

That's all I could fined and I was told this when I 1st. started shooting and gathering my toys that no production gun could be a bolt gun except in air pistol
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

260 Striker wrote:I thought IHMSA at one time allowed stock XP-100s in .221 Fireball to be shot in Production but that turned out not to be practical so they were never used much. I think one of our club members tried it several times but with the lousy sights and low knock down power he ended up using a TC. Correct me if I'm wrong Steve.

The XP100 in 221 Fireball was indeed allowed at one time. In fact, I used a Fireball to step into Production Int class. At that time, 36X40 would get you into Int. The factory sights were poor but the gun shot so flat I did not need to adjust for distance. I used a Hornady 60 grain spire point and 4198 powder. I think my best score was a 37 or maybe a 38. I can't remember for sure. You had to hit the rams high and you were at the mercy of the target setters. If they did not set the topple point right you were doomed. I remember the last entry I shot with that Fireball before moving on to a Contender 30 Herrett. I knocked down the first 5 rams with no problems. The targets were reset and I rang # 6, then rang #7, both with good hits. I shot the last three in the head and none fell. I now find no mention of the Fireball being allowed in the current rule book.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I don't have a rule book in front of me, but I believe it is covered at the end under what is allowed and not allowed.

Under a broad and gray interpretatation of the aftermarket barrel and sight rule. You could possibly rebarrel one with a twist rate for 77-80 grain bullets and use after market sights. You would be stuck with the plastic stock and a not so good trigger. Again this is a real broad and gray interpretation.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

As Charlie mentions, in the formative years the rule said ''Was a catalog item as of 1978'' or words to that effect. In his book on Metallic Silhouette, Elgin mentions working about three months with one before deciding it didn't have predictable and repeatable success on Rams to be practical. But, we retained the rule. One year at Oak Ridge,Tn someone complained their 221 wouldn't reliably kill rams. If you used one your day was when they clamped Rams and counted hits; other than that you suffered and eventually migrated to something else. They remain a fun gun and if yours will handle 55gr bullets it makes a serviceable candidate in Any Sights half scale.
It is a shame that its obvious potential was not exploitable at the time it was introduced due to its short sight radius and crude issue sights as well as the dearth of optics as we have today. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.