what ya doing new?

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: what ya doing new?

Post by 19 Turkeys »

22Bobcat wrote: Sounds like fun Steve... got to mix up the shooting here and there. :) thought about the new/newish 17WSM?? would be a blast to play with in the 17cal rimfires... just need a good rifle platform of the shelf for it.. Have not heard much good stuff on the Savage 17WSM.. :-s

Cody
Hi Cody,

I have a couple of friends that are having excellent luck with the 17 HMR the Savage basic rifle (model 93R17 FV) & the price at $199.97 USD on sale here was so good I could not pass up the deal. I have not seen any 17WSM rifles on the shelf here so have not looked for ammunition availability either.

Steve
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
22Bobcat
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 22Bobcat »

19 Turkeys wrote:
22Bobcat wrote: Sounds like fun Steve... got to mix up the shooting here and there. :) thought about the new/newish 17WSM?? would be a blast to play with in the 17cal rimfires... just need a good rifle platform of the shelf for it.. Have not heard much good stuff on the Savage 17WSM.. :-s

Cody
Hi Cody,

I have a couple of friends that are having excellent luck with the 17 HMR the Savage basic rifle (model 93R17 FV) & the price at $199.97 USD on sale here was so good I could not pass up the deal. I have not seen any 17WSM rifles on the shelf here so have not looked for ammunition availability either.

Steve
From what I read the Savage 17WSM is rather average in build.. its a shame.. the 17WSM looks to be a heck of a Rimfire round.. some are dropping coyote's at 180yards with it..

I wan't one of the new Nosler 26's its a BEAST of a 6.5mm shooting dead flat to 415yards SAAMI spec approval went through last week... :ymdevil:
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

well today was the 1st. day I could drive AND the best weather in two weeks and looking for the next two weeks So told my wife I was going shooting ( not happy#1) and there was no way anything could happen (wrong#1) she said only way was if she went too. (load up blue).I planned on going to a small private pay range that I use from time to time got there someone was there only room for two and he said he as about finished So I decided to wait (wrong#2) more came before he finished no big problem there shooting glock type @ 15 yards. I So I set up @ the 100yrds. part So wife setting in truck I'm ready to shoot starting with Prod. black out with 3x9 scope for load test. I forget rule #1 loose grip+ rifle scope = blood + blood thinner = lots of blood (warped my nose remember wrong#1) go to truck to get band aide open door with blood running down my nose I get that "look"(women thing) and I keep getting that "look" even after I returned to the line If I looked at the truck I was getting that "look"!! after firing 10 5shot groups of different load/bullet combo in the blackout and 32-20 nothing earth shattering but considering 2 two week remove form heart surgery happy happy happy. I loaded up as I was hearing that every thing I touched was over my 8# weight limit not need to pleaded my case so I just "yes dear" as soon as I started the Truck I got that "I'm about to wet my pants" (women thing) knowing it's 20 miles to the nearest bathroom
Bottom line I got her to the bathroom in the nick of time ,I got out of the house , got to go shoot, didn't bleed to death
and I guess the old girl proved she really cares about the well being of the man she has had for almost 40 years
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Richard, Glad you got to shoot and had a Band-Aid handy. I'm sure the Mrs. kept a close eye on you. Look how long it took to get you trained and she doesn't want to go through that again so she is going to keep an eye on you for sure. Must be nice to have some nice weather to do some shooting. In the 20s here and still lots of snow. Grew up in OH but don't tolerate the winters like I used to when I was young. Time to fire up the lead pot and cast some bullets!!!! Watch that lifting part. Doesn't take much of our gear to go over 8 pounds.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

I think I am going to go a little crazy this year :D :D

going to try to break the 500 meter revolver record of 24x40 (with iron sights)

and also going to finally try to get over 20x40 in 500 meter 1/2 size with iron sights.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

Nutcase did you come up with a barrel for standing ~o)
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

ole95 wrote:Nutcase did you come up with a barrel for standing ~o)
yes, but I may end up still shooting the Wichita in 357SM for standing B-(
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
rr1220
Spotter

Post by rr1220 »

this will be my 5th year shooting imhsa and for the first 4 I was getting a handle on uas in BB and SB,this past year i moved up to int in SB uas (finally),SB unlimited a class, uasfs aa class (highest score 27), BB uashs aa (high score 32) and aaa uas BB, started on field pistol pas up to a class,time to spend more time on standing in SB us and field pistol,i have been shooting some nra matches this winter to get a jump on this coming season,just does not seem to be enough relays to shoot as much as I would like and in the short time I have been shooting I have found that shooting over 4 relays my scores take a hit from fatigue,my mental discipline goes out the window
I do remember and am on occasion reminded of my first match when I shot a 7 in sb uas , so we got better and I continue to look to challenge myself by moving into different disciplines with pistols and if my imhsa matches have not been enough I started shooting nra smallbore rifle silhouette which is a real challenge as I do not hunt and have shot very little with a rifle,those turkeys are just tough.
KickBass
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57314

Post by KickBass »

RR1220--Glad to see you get into standing--that is the greatest and most rewarding challenge this sport has to offer. Sounds like you have improved a lot in just 5 years, great to have you aboard.
IHMSA editor
4th grade spelling bee champion
Homecoming King runner up--'88, '89 Diamond (MO) HS
Past prom date for Tina "Boom Boom" Barlett
United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

Post by 7br »

Lets see. I picked up a Browning Buckmark silhouette model and a 10" Anschutz last summer. I will see what I can do with the browning in production and am upgrading the sighs on the anschutz. Definite good times.