BLAST FROM THE PAST..1982 FORTVILLE, INDIANA.

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST..1982 FORTVILLE, INDIANA.

Post by 260 Striker »

I'm not sure if this is the answer but it looked like a swarm of ants when the target setters came out. I think there were 20 sets of big bore targets (maybe more) and it took a lot of people to set all those targets between relays. I remembered clubs loaned targets to Fortville and all the club names were stamped on the edges of the feet so all the targets would get back to the clubs after the match. I know lots of people were upset about the range conditions but I suspect the members at Fortville were just overwhelmed by all the logistics. I was impressed to see all those targets standing at the beginning of each relay even if it was confusing to know which target to shoot at. Later when the Shooting Steel book came out it listed all the entries at the early Internationals matches but for some reason most of the big bore U-AA got deleted. Guess which class I was in. Missed my chance to become famous for shooting such a lousy score.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Yes, the truck looked like a clown car at the circus, I could not believe how many setters was in that truck.
United States of America
gibar
Class C

Post by gibar »

Yes that match was a disaster. First, while the Match directors - Bill and Etta were very friendly people but I believe that they expected ihmsa shooters to come in and build the range. Didn't happen. To compound this the regional director at that time was always reporting in the paper that the range was progressing. I participated in the monthly matches there and very little was being done to the range.

Second, too many protests and shooters being thrown out. The worst offense was protesting the shooter/gun who eventually won unlimited. He might have been the first person to use the dead frog shooting position. The gun was not touching the ground, resting on a boot top or anything else resembling an articifal rest. Also since using this position where it was a more natural position of holding the gun(canted about 45 degrees), he remounted the sights to compensate for this. I was overjoyed to see him win!

Third, shootoff targets were pop cans, snuff cans and maybe some other junk I do not remember. Really?

And lastly most shooters do and should remember that place as Fartville!
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Former match director Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club
Former IHMSA Ohio State Director
Member OGCA
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Snuff can. Is what I remember, The problem was they did not move after being hit, they had to go down and inspect each can for hits.
Richard Fotz production 80,Joe May Unlimited 80,Arthur Lavailee Revolver77,Claude Kinard Standing 67.4 gun agg 284x320 Bruce Adamchik.
Last edited by JACKIE40X40 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

It was 1525 entries in Indiana.
mugs
Spotter

Post by mugs »

Such memories. I'll never forget the truck load of hay they spread behind the targets so the setters didn't get stuck in the mud. Bev was on the line spotting during one of the downpours she said she thought she would drown. Mike Averre also shot a prod. 80. Dick Folz was one of our AK. shooters, i spotted him in the shoot off with Mike. Snuff cans flat on the stand, painted white to be able to see them on the black stands. You guys have to stop this stuff making me feel old.
Mugs
Shoot only cast Boolits
Member since 1979 #5940
Former Match Director Anchor Rams
Former Match Director Phoenix Silhouette
Former Alaska State Director
NRA Life
IHMSA Life
Cast Bullet 80x80 1983
United States of America
gibar
Class C

Post by gibar »

mugs wrote:Such memories. I'll never forget the truck load of hay they spread behind the targets so the setters didn't get stuck in the mud. Bev was on the line spotting during one of the downpours she said she thought she would drown. Mike Averre also shot a prod. 80. Dick Folz was one of our AK. shooters, i spotted him in the shoot off with Mike. Snuff cans flat on the stand, painted white to be able to see them on the black stands. You guys have to stop this stuff making me feel old.
Mugs
WE are old!!!
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Former match director Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club
Former IHMSA Ohio State Director
Member OGCA
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Post by Alvin »

I had forgotton about the snuff cans.....the company was handing those out to everyone they came across. I have to check my old issues for the number of entries. My memory is not the best at time!!
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

Didn't Claude Kinard shoot a 80x80 in revolver ??
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Post by Alvin »

Jackie--you are correct....1525 was the total entries. I've always had the number at 1725 stuck in my head all these years......
As far as Claude Kinard is concerned, he did shoot an 80X80 in Revolver(which is listed as a new record in The Silhouette) with a 10 1/2inch Ruger Super Blackhawk. He also won Standing with a 67X80. He won Standing the year before (1981) with a 69X80. Says he lost both of his feet in a tragic auto accident in the fall of 1981.
Wow--the stuff you learn (or relearn) by reading old issues of The Silhouette. :)
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA