What's your favorite lube?

User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

What's your favorite lube?

Post by high standard 40 »

I've been experimenting with cast bullets in most of my silhouette guns for the past couple of years and I'm ready to start looking for better lubes than what I have been using. I have a satisfactory lube that I use in my bottleneck cases, 7TCU, 7BR, and 30 Herrett. The lube is a re-formulated Thompson Blue Angel. Mineral oil and JPW were added to soften it up some. I also use this lube in a couple of rifles I deer hunt with, but I am open to suggestions for these higher velocity chamberings. My lube does require some heat to flow.

I have two Lyman 450 sizers and my plan is to set one up with lube for higher velocity cartridges and the other with a different lube for straight wall revolver and semi-auto pistol cartridges (800fps to 1300fps). For these lower velocity rounds I'm wanting a softer lube that flows with no heat.

Ideally for both applications I would prefer a lube with low smoke and low stink. (I'm not much of a fan of the alox smoke smell) Also of importance is a lube that leaves low residue in the bore so that accuracy does not suffer after long shot strings.

Some what do you use and why?
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
marshall623
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57357

Re: What's your favorite lube?

Post by marshall623 »

High Standard , You guys really helped me a bunch when I started casting I did go on my own a bit I was reading a lot on bullet lubes and peoples different recipes. I deciced to give it a try. I used some candle wax ,JPW,vasaline,Lee liquid alox , crayons to make it purple. It ended up a bit soft so throwed in about a 1/3 stick of blueangel that made it about right. I guess I got lucky no leading , allmost no smoke, and no stink I don't use much LLA. It's good for quenched WW's at 1880 fps . I've heard good things about White Lable Lubes I would be tempted to give them a try.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I use LBT Blue. Has always worked great. .357 mag at 1100-1200fps 357 supermag at 1550-1750. Does require heat but no smell and no problems.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
Smokin7mm
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 49266

Post by Smokin7mm »

I have used some of the alox lubes on the market. Tamarack was the last I got the high temp rifle stuff. Problem with these types of lube is the smoke and really dirty up a stainless revolver. I have switched over to LBT blue soft. Doesn't require heat, is not tacky, no smoke and keeps the guns cleaner. All around, I think it is the best on the market that I have tried.
Bret
Match Director Paul Bunyan Rifle Club Puyallup Wa
Washington State Director
NRA member
ihmsakiwi
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by ihmsakiwi »

I use the FWFL homemade lube from over on the Cast Boolit site.
Use it in my 7mmBR XP, my 357 Mag F.A, and my 32 H&R Mag T/C.
Dont think I have ever had leading bad as I have never found accuracy suffering and have never had to use anything other than an occassional pull of a bore snake in any of them.

I only ever have dark brown coloured lube as I am yet to make a batch that doesn't catch fire. That wax has a might low flash point and my gas burner just doesnt seem to like to work down low. Peter. :)
high standard 40
Class A

Peter,
Exactly what is FWFL lube and what ingredients go into it? Last week I mixed up a batch of "Speed Green" but have yet to test it. It comes highly recommended as does "Felix Lube".
IHMSA Member since 1980
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
mugs
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by mugs »

Used LBT BLUE & LBT BLUE SOFT for about 25 yrs. with great results. Made a batch of FWFL { Felix World Famous Lube} so far does every thing that LBT was doing. Also making my own gas checks with Pat Marlin's Checkmaker dies.
Mugs
Shoot only cast Boolits
Member since 1979 #5940
Former Match Director Anchor Rams
Former Match Director Phoenix Silhouette
Former Alaska State Director
NRA Life
IHMSA Life
Cast Bullet 80x80 1983
JSH
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 52929

Post by JSH »

Another one that uses FWFL. ZERO leading in anything. I ran my BF in 30-20 for PAS and US for over a year with no cleaning, other than a dry patch. That was more to clean the chamber than anything. Ran some 180's to a 2300++in the '06 rifle with no problem.
The only other lubes I have tried were RCBS and some lee alox. Both gave me grief.
jeff
high standard 40
Class A

OK, FWFL= Felix lube. I guess I should have figured that one out. I know what that is and how to make it. It is on my list to try next. Thanks to all for the input.
IHMSA Member since 1980
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
Mustang Gregg
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 17040

Post by Mustang Gregg »

For anything above 1000 FPS, I like Zambini ROOSTER RED.
I bought a load of it in the 1980's in hopes to sell it. And I still have some today.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns. One for each of you."