Forum Participation

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
kg4tyr
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Forum Participation

Post by kg4tyr »

ouraydog wrote:I have used the forum to get a couple of newbie questions answered and it is a great resource. I encourage the lurkers to speak up, maybe it is just what you need to get going. Somehow things become a lot more "real" when you make contact with others that are interested in the same things.

In June I plan on attending my first shoot in 30 years. I found out about it from someone that answered one of my dumb-ass questions.

Bill Barton (San Diego)
Very good point, Bill.

I had posted about no TN matches on the schedule, no place to shoot, no State Director, etc. Well guess what? A couple of replies later, I have a place to shoot only about 45 mins from my house. Without asking, I probably would have never known about it. I too am just getting involved again and have now shot in 2 matches after a 25+ year Leave Of Absence. Also got a new gun to shoot, to be more competitive.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

Update!!! 117 users with at least 1 post out of 256 users. 45.7% participation. Only 61 users with 5 or more posts. 23.8% IDK maybe I'm just to dumb to understand.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

We've added almost 100 users since November, and our participation hasn't seemed to improve. Users with at least 1 post - 177 = 51% participation. Users with 5 at least posts, 75 = 21% participation. Out of 345 users, 168 have not even introduced themselves. Most ever users online at one time - 25. Lets set up a time on Saturday night 4/28/2012 at 9:00 PM Eastern time (adjust for your time zone) and see how many members we can get online at one time. Let's shatter the current record. I am going to make a post titled "Saturday Night Check In". Simply log in and say hello or make a comment, if you haven't posted before, introduce yourself.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Justin Cider
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 44714

Post by Justin Cider »

I think a lot of the problem is that you have a few posters that seem to reply to everything and have kind of a superiority complex. Then if you state anything that isn't kissing one of their butts, or saying how IHMSA is the greatest thing invented since the battery-powered vibrator, then you get BS replies from these mightier than thou types. That attitude is a real conversation killer and doesn't lead to ongoing dialogue.
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

Justin Cider wrote:I think a lot of the problem is that you have a few posters that seem to reply to everything and have kind of a superiority complex. Then if you state anything that isn't kissing one of their butts, or saying how IHMSA is the greatest thing invented since the battery-powered vibrator, then you get BS replies from these mightier than thou types. That attitude is a real conversation killer and doesn't lead to ongoing dialogue.
I'm not sure where you get your opinion from, but I don't see this. The 2 people with the most posts are the Site Administrator and Global Moderator. After that is the IHMSA NEWS Editor, a state director, and myself. So I don't see a mightier than thou attitude from anyone. I see some of the most knowledgeable people in the sport trying to help others with the sport and understanding the rules, etc. I can't speak for anyone else, but my posts are asking questions or trying to stimulate conversation and participation on these forums.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
RockinHRacin
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55010

Post by RockinHRacin »

I honestly don't see what you see. If I am an offender, I apologize as it was never intended that way. Many of us reply with our experiences, especially repeated ones. If it works consistently that way for one person, that person will answer matter-of-factly. I have seen several cases where one persons absolute is different from another. It does not mean that we are holier than thou.

Just my $0.02.

Chris
God created Electronic Warfare Maintenance Technicians so pilots would have heroes too.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

If there is a new topic called Stupid Questions is that the only topic I will be allowed to post in? Interesting reads in all topics on this site and my take is most posters are very serious about this sport. Complaints mean frustration that things aren't better so there is some good even reading the complaints. There are many smarter people out there than me since I can't seem to offer suggestions to improve our sport. That frustrates me!!! I'm just glad that the grass roots shooters and MDs around the country continue to shooter on a regular basis to keep our sport going. Lots of cool heads on this forum that I am learning from so hope everyone keeps the comments coming. One day we might stumble onto the ultimate solution to all our problems.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
RockinHRacin
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55010

Post by RockinHRacin »

There's one thing that we all need to remember. One or two people on here do not make all of the decisions. Voice your idea. Don't take the discussion personally. I'm sure there will be 27 different angles to any idea. You can't get angry if someone disagrees with you. Perhaps someone has tried it before and it failed. Just keep an open mind. We all should keep an open mind.

Chris
God created Electronic Warfare Maintenance Technicians so pilots would have heroes too.
Justin Cider
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 44714

Post by Justin Cider »

well said rockinwhatever... too many people take themselves too seriously and get all irked about anyone that dares to disagree with them. And they seem to be the ones that must be having too much time on there hands sitting alone playing with themselves, because they are the ones always on here trying to direct traffic and infuse their view like they are a darned liberal or something trying to force their opinion and will upon everyone else. Very good comment! Let's hope they heed your advice.
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

I have run into a situation on this board that may affect the way people post and how eager they are to respond.
It appears that my posts have to be "approved" before appearing. Sometimes that takes days. My most recent post regarding an inquiry about hearing protection took three days to be approved. In the meantime other people have responded and when my posts is approved it ends up being inserted in the proper date sequence and may have lost it relevance.

If we are serious about wanting people to participate, I do not agree with this procedure and policy. Most boards allow the post to be publicized and if it is controversial or otherwise embarassing then it is taken down by a moderator.

This may be a case where new members are on probation? I did not realize that I was not registered on this board as I have been following it for a long time. I just hadn't posted any responses, evidently. I have been an IHMSA member for years and at one time sat on the board and headed the membership committee. I have been a life member for years and am one of the few( this is a relative few) active silhouette shooters in the United States. I have particiapeted in at least 11 Internationals and six or seven NRA Hunter Pistol nationals. I find it insulting to have my posts subject to a delay of days.

Jim Kesser