President's Report March 2014

Here is the place to post your ideas and suggestions for the President of IHMSA.
Forum rules
Civility and decorum is expected. Any posts of an antagonistic or abusive nature will be deleted and the poster reprimanded.
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

President's Report March 2014

Post by Proclaim »

Presidents Report – March 2014
First, let me say that it has been a most honored, enjoyable ride as President of IHMSA, but it is time for new blood, as they say. So, at the end of my term next year I will not be seeking re-election. Since my open heart surgery last year, there are more things that I wish to get into and enjoy my retirement. Thank you all for your support and understanding as we go through this journey together, I will continue to shoot and support IHMSA to the hilt.
That being said, there are some things that need to be addressed, based on what I am hearing about from the IHMSA Forum. Let me just say that I do not go on the IHMSA Forum, and the reason is, that I wish to remain neutral in my position as president. It always, amazes me, however, that those who can find fault with myself or the IHMSA Board, always have a complaint but never bring a solution to the table. In my working history, all of my bosses, said if you find a problem, come back with a solution. I don’t pretend to have all the answers for the growth of IHMSA and sustaining itself. It takes a village (membership) that said I wish to set some things straight.
First, Lorene Thompson, our only paid HQ person, she does only what the IHMSA Board asks of her and in my opinion she goes above and beyond her job description. Every year she attends the IHMSA World Championships on her own dime and for the last two years has served at the IHMSA Editor in a volunteer position. She also reads the IHMSA Forum, from time to time and does not post, also to remain neutral. At the World Championships, she is on duty to serve the attending membership starting at 7am and working long after the 5pm closing to ensure all matters of business is taken care of.
So, now let’s address her compensation. Since 2004 when the IHMSA Board appointed Lorene, a set pay was determined and she accepted the position, this amount has never been hidden and appears in IHMSA Finances as contract labor and initially saved IHMSA $20,000 annually from prior contract labor who had the same responsibilities. She has had one raise that the IHMSA Board approved in 2006. As a contract laborer, IHMSA does not have to pay payroll taxes or any other related employee expenses, these costs are passed on to Lorene and she pays them from her compensation. She provides her own internet and IHMSA pays for only the HQ telephone service. She does not keep strict 9-5 business hours Monday through Friday because that would not provide the best service to IHMSA. The office is in her home and therefore she answers calls not only during business hours but also in the evening and on weekends. IHMSA pays for the printing of score cards and other IHMSA related printing costs, but Lorene absorbs all the costs (approximately 90%) of ink, paper etc. She also provides the office space to store all IHMSA related supplies with no additional compensation. As equipment has needed replacement, she also has paid for this through her 501c company. I also want you to know that she waived her compensation for two months in 2013 and I anticipate this will happen more in 2014. Thank you Lorene for all you do!
Now, let’s address the IHMSA News. In an effort to reduce costs, we the IHMSA Board had a survey sent out to the life members to see what their thoughts were on this subject. Overwhelmingly, they all came back with “keep the printed copy”. Due to the increase in postage, this is just not sustainable for IHMSA. Therefore, we are going to have the IHMSA News posted on the IHMSA Website (details to be determined) and for those who still wish to continue receiving a hard copy you will need to notify Lorene at HQ to keep on getting the hard copy sent. Let me also address the cost of printing of the IHMSA News, our current printer, Eido has not increased their printing costs in the twenty years that they have been printing it for IHMSA and they have done an excellent job. Sadly, we just cannot continue to print the hard copy and pay postage for the mailing. Here in Minnesota all of current gun ranges went to an on-line format years ago with little or no problems. More information will be forth coming.
Next, let’s address the travel expenses of the IHMSA Board of Directors. For the past ten years the only travel expense paid for IHMSA Board of Directors was the hotel, during the World Championships. However, last year, due to the finances of IHMSA, the board itself voted to be compensated for only 50% of the costs. This year, I am going to ask them to pay for it in full, as Ken and I have done in the past, prior to me becoming president. I call this dedication, and let me remind you all that these positions are all volunteer, does anyone want to take on these positions? Please note that they all volunteer to work every day and receive no compensation for their entries at this event and often even forfeit entries they have paid for to take care of business. How many of you can say that? They also are coordinating all the match requirements well before the match to ensure that all attendees have a great time and that all runs smooth
If you wish to address issues, have ideas to keep this sport going or tell me something good, the best way to get a hold of me is by email, IHMSAPREZ@aol.com or call me at 612.554.1800.
Until next time shoot safely and often.
Nancy LaCroix
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Re: President's Report March 2014

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

I`m not surprised by the 2014 presidents report:First let me say that Nancy and Ken have supported IHMSA 100% in 30+ years as members.
How many can say that.The forum has bashed them and Lorene for sometime now, for something that none of the past presidents have not been able to turn around either.I want to thank them for all the years of dedication and friendship.Jackie Brown
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

Nancy, you and Ken have been a valuable asset to all of IHMSA for many, many years. For that we owe you both our respect and appreciation. I realize that yours has sometimes been a thankless position to hold, but I must say that although the percentage of members that frequent this forum may be small - we would have appreciated your thoughts and input. I can understand that you may have wanted to remain neutral, but I suggest that may have not been entirely the proper course to take. Again, I respect and understand your course of action. We face some trying times, and some hard decisions need to be made. Hopefully we can maintain civility when these topics are brought forward. And please tell Lorene that, as a member of IHMSA - she has just as much right to post on the forum as anyone else does ! I have never considered her salary as a main sticking point - and she has always taken care of me whenever I have contacted her for help or information. In closing, I wish you continued health and happiness, as well as my sincere thanks and appreciation ! ------ Philip Braud IHMSA #13794 Louisiana State Director
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
TEFREY
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57239

Post by TEFREY »

Hey Jackie,

No disrespect, but no one (even toneddowndaddy) has been bashing anyone. We have been asking legitimate questions about the future of IHMSA, and the ways we can keep her alive. I feel everyone has been very civil. Credit where credit is due.
Nobody
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

TEFREY wrote:Hey Jackie,

No disrespect, but no one (even toneddowndaddy) has been bashing anyone. We have been asking legitimate questions about the future of IHMSA, and the ways we can keep her alive. I feel everyone has been very civil. Credit where credit is due.
tefrey: Everyone certainly has a right to their opinon.And I get the concerns of our future,it certainly looks weak.Maybe I misunderstood the Presidents report, what I get from it is hurt feelings,"that those who can find fault with myself or the IHMSA board" I know I would be offended If I took a thankless job and my people thought that about me.I would quit too.
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

tonedaddy wrote:As I have said Jackie over and over, I find Nancy and Ken and the rest of the directors to always be considerate and helpful as well as Lorene, I am just worried about the finances of IHMSA and how much longer it will be around. I still cannot figure out why we cannot get an answer from any of them on this board or why business only seems to be addressed at the Internationals. And yes Nancy, I thank you for your years of service.
The Internationals is the only place for the answers,It could be changed though, a rule change must be submitted in writing to committee chairman a minimum of 90 days prior to the annual business meeting.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

IHMSA is a sport/game that is non-profit and is supported by volunteers at all levels, at the very basic local level and at HQ by "volunteers". I even give credit to Lorene as the lone paid contract worker too since I'm sure her compensation does not come close to the valuable work she performs for IHMSA. The information from Nancy is well received but I need to point out some of this information is too little, too late. My main problem with HQ has always been the lack of flow of information to the general membership. I never know what any of the committees are reviewing/voting on. If we had know about some of the decisions the board had made to reduce their compensation at the Internationals then a lot of the so called negative comments would not have appeared on this forum. The whole idea of a forum is to promote the flow of information within the organization. I personally don't expect anyone to remain "neutral". That means we are not moving in any direction. I would prefer to know exactly what all the board members think so I can feel more confident they are doing all they can to preserve our organization. I sincerely believe we all want what is best for IHMSA but I need to know what our leadership is doing so I can support their decisions, and yes, make comments if I don't think they have made a good choice. I have come to believe that IHMSA is being run in a vacuum and that makes me very uncomfortable. I want to thank Nancy, Ken, Lorene and all the other officials at HQ but respectfully ask them to be more open with all the members. Even asking the life members about continuing the newspaper hardcopy was unknown to me. I never paid my life membership and have been a constant member since 1980. I could have paid for a life membership several times but thought it best to re-up my annual membership as a small way to help our finances. Does that mean I should not have been given a chance to voice my opinion about the newspaper? Was that ever posted in the newspaper about approaching the life members? These are the types of things that I think the general membership should know about. Sorry to ramble. Thanks Nancy for finally shedding some light on our discussions.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Suggestion: those who wrote comments in response to Nancy's column need to copy/paste them into an email and send them to Lorene as letters to the editor. Why? First, Nancy's post was put up by Proclaim. And she says she does not come here. To not send in letters to the editor puts us in the position of appearing we as members could care less and lends credence to Nancy's statement that all we do is find fault and complain without offering solutions which is absolutely false. We have offered many all of which have been ignored or at least not responded to.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

[quote="19 Turkeys"]Suggestion: those who wrote comments in response to Nancy's column need to copy/paste them into an email and send them to Lorene as letters to the editor. Why? First, Nancy's post was put up by Proclaim. And she says she does not come here. To not send in letters to the editor puts us in the position of appearing we as members could care less and lends credence to Nancy's statement that all we do is find fault and complain without offering solutions which is absolutely false. We have offered many all of which have been ignored or at least not responded to.

Steve W.

I forwarded mine, listing it as "originally posted on IHMSA.org Forum"
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Just cut and pasted my comments in an email to Lorene asking they be published in the paper. Lets hope all these comments may stimulate better communication within IHMSA.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885