Forend for Flop

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Forend for Flop

Post by 260 Striker »

I have a Ruger Charger that I have cobbled up a stock out of an ATI tactical for a 10-22 rifle. Looks ugly but paint can fix that. I'm thinking about shortening the grip and shooing the flop (prone) instead of creedmore. Long eye relief scopes give me fits on the 22s for some reason. I'm thinking of modifying the forend of my stock to make it flatter on the bottom and maybe extend it a little. Seems like years ago there was some controversy about forends extending downward from the bore line and some maximum limit was imposed. I checked the latest online rules and couldn't find any restrictions about unlimited stocks just overall gun/sight length and weight limits. Anyone have any ideas of best forend for the flop? I'm an old IHMSA geezer and I'm used to hearing prone. Is the flop the same as prone or do I have to torture myself to get into some weird position? Tried dead frog once and took weeks for me to walk normal again! Thanks.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
johnranderson01
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 48827

Re: Forend for Flop

Post by johnranderson01 »

Flop and prone are the same thing. The term Flop is just a shortend form of Fields Flop a name given to the position when Jim Fields started using it a few years back. As far as the stock goes the main concerns seem to be that it can't be contoured to your body or have an apendage that sticks down from the fore end. Makeing it flatter and extending it to make it longer should be no problem. I am just a shooter with no special access to the rules but this is what I have observed by watching guns get approved at the Internationals. Good luck and have fun.

John Anderson
John
IHMSA 48827L
Johnranderson21@gmail.com
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: Forend for Flop

Post by 35isit »

I don't have a rule book in front of me. I believe the rule on downward extensions is in line with the BTFE rules on them. I use a Contender in the flop. For me wider,longer and heavier is best. My advice is if you have the ability to make it yourself. Make it bigger than you know you want it. Then trim it down to the size that suits you best. My third forearm was the charm.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director