John Taffin

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

John Taffin

Post by LOCKHART »

I like his articles and he mentions every now then his competing in IHMSA matches. Has anyone on here ever shot ata match with him? And what his classifications were?
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B

Re: John Taffin

Post by LOCKHART »

Wow! I can't believe that nobody has responded to this. Has no one ever shot at a match with John?
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

LOCKHART wrote:Wow! I can't believe that nobody has responded to this. Has no one ever shot at a match with John?
Probably anyone who shot with him is dead now it has been a long time since he shot an IHMSA match I bet!

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B

Post by LOCKHART »

I guess you're right, Steve. I've been in this since 1980 and I've seen plenty of folks leave this game too, either by just quitting or by dying. I just thought it would be interesting to hear from folks that had actually shot with Taffin.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Same can be said for Layne Simpson. I have an old Handloader issue (somewhere?) where Layne had a custom XP in the then new 7BR and he gave lots of load data. Most loads would be considered hot by todays standards but those were the days before the topple rule for rams. Never heard of any other gun writer than those two who even mentioned anything about shooting silhouettes.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Post by Alvin »

There was also a writer that lived at Barry, Illinois...Richard(I can't remember his last name). Wrote for Shooting times and the nationals for USPSA was always held on his grandfather's farm(which turned into the huge range that is located there at Barry). Those of us that shot this range(when they were actually holding IHMSA matches) never saw Richard complete a course of fire, although he wrote about silhouette shooting for years. Only saw him shoot once...and he quit before getting to the turkeys.
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Alvin wrote:There was also a writer that lived at Barry, Illinois...Richard(I can't remember his last name). Wrote for Shooting times and the nationals for USPSA was always held on his grandfather's farm(which turned into the huge range that is located there at Barry). Those of us that shot this range(when they were actually holding IHMSA matches) never saw Richard complete a course of fire, although he wrote about silhouette shooting for years. Only saw him shoot once...and he quit before getting to the turkeys.
I think that was Dick Metcalf.
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

i26963 wrote:
Alvin wrote:There was also a writer that lived at Barry, Illinois...Richard(I can't remember his last name). Wrote for Shooting times and the nationals for USPSA was always held on his grandfather's farm(which turned into the huge range that is located there at Barry). Those of us that shot this range(when they were actually holding IHMSA matches) never saw Richard complete a course of fire, although he wrote about silhouette shooting for years. Only saw him shoot once...and he quit before getting to the turkeys.
I think that was Dick Metcalf.
Melvin
Melvin, you are correct. It was Metcalf.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B

Post by LOCKHART »

At the match in Arizona, held before the match at Ft. Bliss, where IHMSA was formed, there was Jeff Cooper, George Nonte, Elgin Gates, and one other fellow who wrote for Guns magazine. All those fellows were gun writers. Gates even said he invited Elmer Keith, all expenses paid, but he didn't show.
Elmo
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 13936

Post by Elmo »

There was another gun writer that was an active member. I met him at an internationals. He was from Vermont. My memory has slipped on his name. He moved to Louisiana! Maybe some of you can jog my memory.
Elmo