IHMSA Update Please!!!

Here is the place to post your ideas and suggestions for the President of IHMSA.
Forum rules
Civility and decorum is expected. Any posts of an antagonistic or abusive nature will be deleted and the poster reprimanded.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

IHMSA Update Please!!!

Post by 260 Striker »

Hi Steve,
First off, congratulations on becoming our new President, or condolences, whichever is appropriate!!!! I was checking the latest issue of the IHMSA News (July) and noticed the Editors comment about not having a President's Report from Nancy or you until the August issue. That got delayed so I would like to hear from you about your plans for IHMSA and also our current financial status if that is available. We all wish you the best in your new position and want to know how you will be leading us in the future. I also would like to know the status of the other IHMSA officers. Do we need to fill any positions at HQ? Thanks!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Re: IHMSA Update Please!!!

Post by nutcase »

Steve's first report will be in the next issue. which I hope to have done today.

Which positions that will be opening up will be in the NOV/DEC issue. As for Financials, I gave up.

I am looking for Writers though for the news.

1. looking for somebody to take over as the Air pistol records coordinator. we need somebody to take care of this.

2. I am also trying to bring back the Cast bullet program. I miss Carlton Shy's articles and would like to see this come back.

I also would like to see articles from the general membership. whatever they would like to write about would be fine with me. I want to return the IHMSA news back to a newletter that will be informative to our members.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Steve, While we are on the subject of trying to find the current state of affairs for IHMSA, would you please provide the minutes from the last annual meeting so the members can see what business was conducted at the meeting? There should have been some discussion about rule changes even if the discussion was to table all rule changes. Me personally, I feel I have lost touch with HQ and don't have a clue what is going on within our organization. Dan has been very helpful in producing the IHMSA News but apparently the business information for IHMSA has not been provided to him either. Thanks for helping with this important information.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 52664

Post by volleyman »

Warren should have the minutes of the annual meeting. Warren is volunteering to do the secretarial portion of the job until a secretary/ treasurer is elected. The last I heard was that someone has sent the form into Dell Taylor who handles all the executive board elections.
A few of the things discussed at the meeting were, review of practical hunter rules, approval of a 2 year trial of Ultra 500 meter handgun silhouette, printing of the rule book in 2016, reduction of membership dues once we get a handle on the printing costs.
As far as financials the only only money being spent is for materials and postage at headquarters and printing and postage for the newsletter. The cost savings of having Dan volunteering to publish the IHMSA news is very substantial and we all owe him a big thanks.
The BIG thing to remember is that there are no paid positions in IHMSA. Everyone is volunteering their time and effort to keep this sport going. No one likes getting bitched at, volunteers like it even less and if it gets too much they can always quit, as too many have.
A few things to look forward to next year , I will pushing "competition" we will have a new Revolver competition sponsored by Freedom Arms. The promotion of the Ultra 500 silhouette game. Also more recognition of the amazing shooters we have in the sport. I would also like to see someone volunteer to write a juniors column for the newsletter.
Without a monthly newsletter the members lose the close connection to the Organization, I would like to see that we send out at least one printed copy of the newsleter to each member every year. Ideally it would be an early spring issue with all the match dates in.
Next year marks the 40th Internationals/World Championships in Oklahoma City. We plan to make it a special event you do not want to miss.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Thanks for the update. One comment I heard about our annual meetings is things don't get voted on due to the lack of a quorum. I haven't read the rules lately and don't know exactly what they define as a quorum. That may be something that needs to be reviewed and revised for future meetings. As far as rule changes go, years ago proposed changes were published in the IHMSA News and a deadline was given for ALL members to vote on the rule changes. If I remember correctly, the votes submitted for the aftermarket sight change was very small but at least the opportunity was given for all members to vote. The Executive committee should be reviewing the proposed changes and presenting them for a vote by the general membership. That does not require a quorum. So what exactly happened to the proposed rule changes?
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

260 Striker wrote:Thanks for the update. One comment I heard about our annual meetings is things don't get voted on due to the lack of a quorum. I haven't read the rules lately and don't know exactly what they define as a quorum.
Lynn,

I believe the last revision of IHMSA's corporate bylaws was in 2004. Article X, Section 7. reads in part, "A quorum for the annual business meeting shall be fifty eligible members."

Yours,

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
22Bobcat
Spotter

Post by 22Bobcat »

There was a referendum early 2007 to reduce the required quorum from 50 to 30. This appeared in the IHMSA news a couple of times in the first few months of 2007.

This is passed on from dad. Rob Abel.

Cheers

Cody
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

If voting for directors and proposed rule changes was conducted via the IHMSA News so all members could vote then what exactly needs to be voted on at an annual meeting? Approving minutes? Approving a treasurer's report? Maybe voting on the location of the next World Championship? If these are the "minor" issues of business that needs to be voted on at an annual meeting, then it would be acceptable to me to just let the members attending the annual meeting to vote of these type issues regardless of the number of members in attendance. The early days of IHMSA expecting large numbers of active members to attend an annual meeting are a thing of the past. Conducting a business meeting that requires votes will not make drastic changes to IHMSA like electing directors/president or changing bylaws. I guess I do not understand why members present are not considered a quorum these days as long as the whole membership gets to vote on the important issues. Steve probably knows the answer to this.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Lynn,

A substantial revision to the bylaws would be required to accomplish that.

Not impossible but would require some thought.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

Present bylaws as amended in 2007 shows a quorum is 30 members. The 2015 world champs had 60 shooters But I missed the meeting myself.

I am not sure if they call mine a paid position or not as the contract reads for editor. I have suggested a change which will change it from a pay to a fund used for replacement, repair of equipment and also for use for special projects.

now that i have seen the bylaws, Expect to see some items printed in the Jan/Feb issue of the news.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member