General Question - getting rid of MDie flare

United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

General Question - getting rid of MDie flare

Post by 7br »

I am having my XP100 in 7br rebarreled. I am playing with the new barrel to see if my loaded cast rounds will chamber and they will not. The new barrel has a .310 neck. If I use the M Die to flare the mouth, the dies will only iron out the flare to .311 and the rounds will not chamber completely. If I don't flare with the M Die, I scrape lead. Any suggestions?
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: General Question - getting rid of MDie flare

Post by Jimologist »

Turn the necks?
United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

Post by 7br »

I am pretty sure the necks are ok. Jacketed loads chamber fine. It is just ironing out the flair from the m die. Another forum suggested that I adjust the sizer die to kiss the flair. I have a full length die and a neck sizer die, so it might work out well. I will try it tomorrow morning.
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

This is the way I do it, But the guns I shoot with cast bullets do not have tight necks. what I do is use the M die to flair, then adjust the seating die to perform a slight crimp after seating bullet. seems to work on my guns and cast bullets.

I did notice that you flair the mouth more than I do. I adjust my M dies to just have a slight flair enough to allow the cast bullet to enter case and not shave lead.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Crimp the case mouth ever so slightly. All your brass has to be the same length, or you will have varying crimp. Use an empty, sized piece of brass, flare the neck, then run into your seat die a little at a time , screwing the die down a little each time until it just takes the taper out. Lock your seat die down. It’s really better to crimp in a separate step, but it is more work.
At least that was the way I did my 300BO
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA