Anyone powder coating CBs?

United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Anyone powder coating CBs?

Post by 260 Striker »

Seeing lots of info about commercial powder coated lead bullets and many YouTube videos about do it yourself powder coating CBs. Just wanted to know if anyone shooting silhouettes has either tried the commercial coated bullets or has done some home brewed powdered coated CBs. Sounds like there are advantages and disadvantages. At least they would look purdy when you shoot. That at least is good for two or three style points on the firing line!!!! Also want to know if they help or hurt accuracy and how clean they shoot. Probably more suited to FP cartridges but I have seen some videos on rifle calibers too. Thanks for any info. Lynn
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: Anyone powder coating CBs?

Post by jmoore »

I've coated and bought bullets with the HiTek coating. Generally an improvement, but haven't actually competed with them yet. Most of my lead bullet shooting is with store bought swaged projectiles. The most likely candidate for me would be 7-30 Waters, but those cast projectiles did pretty well with a quick LLA/JPW tumble lube.

Have yet to find an altogether acceptable cast bullet for revolvers! (Except possibly .45 Colt for FPAS.) Seems much easier to get good results with single shots.

But I'm a Big Bore noob. big learning curve ahead, so...
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Anyone powder coating CBs?

Post by Polaris »

Old post, but I'll share my experiences. New to silhouette, but have tried both Missouri Hi-tek and Acme coated bullets for various applications with mixed results.

I like them for 1000ish fps velocities. I shoot them extensively in 9mm for some practical shooting courses I run and the occasional informal "action" match. Smooth feeding, good accuracy, little smoke. Once again, I'm keeping these around the 1000 mark, 124 grain over HP 38, accuracy holds up without leading. Compared to conventional Missouri 124 cast, similar accuracy and results, with better feeding and less smoke.

Now for revolvers...mixed results. The wife's .357 loves them, but the extra cost is unnecessary as I'm running these at .38 special velocities, but she likes the pretty red color of the Acmes. They are as accurate as anything else I've shoot AT OR BELOW 1000 fps as far as I can tell in the short barrel of this carry gun. The story changes when I try to run them to full speed .357 mag velocities. Accuracy is mediocre to start, and deteriorates rapidly in my Ruger GP100. Definite leading buildup after 25 rounds. Same story with my .41 mag and the Missouri Hi-tek. Mediocre starting accuracy that goes to hell quickly at higher speeds, fair to good accuracy at very low speeds. Have not tried them on silhouette as the accuracy was not even close to there.