MC
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: Nose diameter question - I know my nose

Post by high standard 40 »

Melvin, JM fairly accurately answered your question. The bullet nose should slide into the muzzle without a lot of effort and should leave faint rifling marks. If you push a bullet nose into the muzzle, and you can't remove it without pliers, then it's too tight.

JM, if you size the bullet nose after the tumble lube you won't need to crimp. I'm not a big fan of crimping cast bullets in bottleneck cases.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Thanks, Charlie
I think I will have to nose size. I cast some .308, 165 Sil bullets for my BF 30-20, and a bullet will not go into the bore. Near as I can measure a slug, it is .301 bore.
Thanks
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

high standard 40 wrote:
JM, if you size the bullet nose after the tumble lube you won't need to crimp. I'm not a big fan of crimping cast bullets in bottleneck cases.
In actual fact, the bullets get two lubings, one before sizing and one after. I could try doing just the one, but for some reason I think it worked better in testing. Doing the lubrication before sizing was a HUGE help in running them through the dies.

The bullets in the XP100 aren't seated very deep, so the crimp is right in the lube groove. So only the gas check and one band are covered. What happened to me with no crimp was that the bullet would stay in the bore with the gas check remaining in the case. The upside was no powder spillage, and the rounds seemed to reassemble and fire fine just by running the case back into the chamber. Mostly worried about a loss of accuracy.