Sorting Cast bullets by weight

United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: Sorting Cast bullets by weight

Post by jmoore »

Let's see if P'bucket will finally cooperate!

An early test when I was recharging the ancient 8# Lyman pot as I went. A fairly wide spread even though the visually bad bullets had already been culled.

Some good coated store bought bullets:

Later results have been much better but have yet to upload the pictures. To be continued...
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Sorting Cast bullets by weight

Post by 260 Striker »

I tried segregating by weight year ago. Later I ran out of sorted bullets so just too the odds "N" ends left over and shot them in a match. Guess what? The mixed weight bullets shot just as well as the sorted bullets. When you think about sorting bullets by one half of a grain you are talking about a weight difference of "one fourteen thousanths" of a pound. Flashing on a bullet could account for that small a variance. Sorting bullets is just like other loading practices we all do. If you "think" it will help then it probably will. If I were bench rest shooting with cast bullets then I would sort by weight but trying to shoot minute of ram won't make a big difference if your bullet weighs one fourteen thousandth more or less than the previous bullet. Bullet casting, shooting and reloading is very enjoyable and if weighing bullets adds to that enjoyment, then by all means do it. If it gives you peace of mind then you will be a better shooter. Based on my personal experience it didn't help. I even tried that with .22lr ammo years ago and sorted by weight and even rim thickness. That didn't help me either. I'm not the worlds best shooter so others shooters probably got better results there too. Bottom line, do what you thinks helps the most.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885