7x30 waters cast bullet extending into neck? good/bad?

User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: 7x30 waters cast bullet extending into neck? good/bad?

Post by high standard 40 »

What equipment are you using to size your bullets? Based on your stated experience, it must be a lubrisizer......either a Lyman or an RCBS. What is the specification on your sizer die?...........284" .285" .286"?
It also sounds like your alloy is too soft if you are able to "bump up" the bullet that much while sizing. You said wheel weight metal. Is it all clip-on weights or are there some stick-on weights included. You could drop those bullets straight from the mold into a bucket of water and you will gain some hardness which should give you less problems with the "bumping up" in diameter. The harder bullet could actually help with accuracy as well.

We can also learn more if you can get that chamber cast. It is always best to start with that. You can avoid all the guess work that you run into if you don't do the chamber cast first. I use the "impact chamber cast" method. It's very easy to do.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
sabbathman
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by sabbathman »

i use a rcbs lubrisizer with a .285 sizing die. i drop my bullets from the mold straight into a five gallon bucket of water. i use wheel weights with the steel clips and hadn't thought about NOT throwing in the stick on weights, although now i can see i won't be doing that again.

I spent some time on both guns and cleaned out the copper fouling from the barrels pretty good i think. i have had zero leading in either barrel. so i assumed the lead bullets were hard enough. i don't have a lead tester. i do own about 30 lbs. of linotype so i could add some of that to the mix, perhaps a one to ten ration would be good?

I will do an impact chamber cast and report back to ya.

as always, thanks for helping me out, greatly appreciate it.
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Post by borregos »

high standard 40 wrote:What equipment are you using to size your bullets? Based on your stated experience, it must be a lubrisizer......either a Lyman or an RCBS. What is the specification on your sizer die?...........284" .285" .286"?
It also sounds like your alloy is too soft if you are able to "bump up" the bullet that much while sizing. You said wheel weight metal. Is it all clip-on weights or are there some stick-on weights included. You could drop those bullets straight from the mold into a bucket of water and you will gain some hardness which should give you less problems with the "bumping up" in diameter. The harder bullet could actually help with accuracy as well.

We can also learn more if you can get that chamber cast. It is always best to start with that. You can avoid all the guess work that you run into if you don't do the chamber cast first. I use the "impact chamber cast" method. It's very easy to do.
Could you please educate me and describe the "impact chamber cast" method.
Thanks
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

borregos wrote:
high standard 40 wrote:What equipment are you using to size your bullets? Based on your stated experience, it must be a lubrisizer......either a Lyman or an RCBS. What is the specification on your sizer die?...........284" .285" .286"?

Thanks
I posted a link to a detailed explanation of the process in a previous discussion on this forum a couple of weeks ago. Here it is again.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... amber+slug
Last edited by high standard 40 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Post by borregos »

high standard 40 wrote:
borregos wrote:

Thanks
I posted a link to a detailed explanation of the process in a previous discussion on this forum a couple of weeks ago. Her it is again.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... amber+slug
Many thanks.
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
marshall623
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57357

Post by marshall623 »

Had the same issues with my 7-30 , I thought I was putting a nice me plate on that Lee bullet, but it was bumping up the nose dia. It doesn't take much pressure to do it either.
sabbathman
Target Painter

Post by sabbathman »

Hey Marshall did ya figure out a way to keep it from happening?
marshall623
Spotter

Post by marshall623 »

Not any good way , but just only enough pressure to seat the check. I think I use the 641 top punch . I have the top punch listed for the 135gr. Lyman bullet also . Neither are a exact fit on the 130 lee. There is a guy on cast boolets who can make custom nose punches. A couple of the nose punch's the Lyman 4th. Cast bullet book list for Lee bullets are not too good of fits that I found either. Close
sabbathman
Target Painter

Post by sabbathman »

Marshal do you have success shooting the lee bullet as far as accuracy goes? I was hoping to use it for silhouettes, but to me, if it doesn't work after fitting it for the barrel (ie, slip fit on the muzzle end) and extending the bullet into the grooves up to the driving bands, I guess i can't see a point in trying to make it work.

I am planning on doing as high standard suggests and making a cast of the 7x30 contender chamber, but i don't see how that info is gonna help a bullet that just isn't gonna perform no matter what. My next step is to look at my casting process with wheel weights. i know i have been cutting corners as far as keeping the heat correct and oxidation, so I'm gonna fix those issues, and we'll go from there.

But if the bullet has a low percentage of people using it due to a reputation of NOT being an accurate bullet, then why waste my time?!? So let me know how it's been working for you please. I also got the 641 punch I believe, it's seems to work really well for me.
marshall623
Spotter

Post by marshall623 »

I've had decent accuracy with the Lee , I run them over 18.5 gr. Of 45 with good results. The Lyman 160 or 145 RCBS are better designs in my opinion. Shoot a few and see , I still use that bullet in the waters & TCU. Because I use a 2 load system in those guns. I would like to see lee put out a heavier 7mm. Bullet. I've heard good things about NOE 's 7mm 150 gr. Hunter