xp 100 7br fmj barrel

sabbathman
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

xp 100 7br fmj barrel

Post by sabbathman »

I just acquired an xp-100 in 7br and I want to shoot CB's through it. The xp has had nothing but a steady diet of fmj and has seen more than a few 40's, 60's and 80's shot from its previous owner.

I know it's not gonna be a good idea to just start shooting CB's through that barrel, so what can I do to make it CB ready?

I am going to try the Lee 130 gc.

Thanks
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Re: xp 100 7br fmj barrel

Post by ole95 »

A lot say get all the copper fouling out
And alot use the RCBS 145 sil
And a lot say fit the bullet to your chamber
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

+1 what ole95 said. If you try the RCBS 145 get a .277 H&I die and size the noses of the bullets. This will just smooth out the parting line and make the bullet a true bore rider. If you want a heavier bullet for sticky rams then get the RCBS 168 mould and size the noses on them too. They will seat the same as the 145s then. I have had great luck on all animals with the 145s but that depends upon your loads. Your barrel should be very smooth now so just get all the copper out and enjoy your CBs.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

The short answers by Ole95 are good. I will expand on it a little. I use cast bullets in 7mm XPs and have reached, let me just say, a level of proven performance. I would first get the barrel as clean as possible. The next step is the most important and is the one that will set the path to all the following steps. Make a chamber cast. If your skip this step, every other choice you make in load development will be a pure guess and will likely lead to poor results. Once you have a chamber cast, you will have the information needed to correctly size your bullet (both drive bands and nose). I had the Lee 130 grain mold and it would not work for me because the body of the bullet was too small for my chamber throat and the nose was also undersize. My process of assembling my loads is to size the bullet body so that it is a snug fit in the throat, seat the bullet out as far as you can to facilitate filling that throat, size the bullet nose to be a slip fit into the rifling, use an alloy of about 18-20 BH, use a soft lube that will be completely consumed by the time the bullet leaves the barrel. That's the short version of my process. I can provide more details is you are interested.

Oh, and I do use the RCBS 145.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
marshall623
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57357

Post by marshall623 »

Just 1 question , how much cast bullet experience do you have ? The reason I'm asking is because there is a little more case prep. involved , choice of alloy and ect. If you have loaded cast before please disregard my ? . My 7mm's like the 160 Lyman Sil. # 287641 I believe to be the mold # I run that one 7-08 Striker , 7-30 waters & 7 TCU contenders.The noses on these drop from the mold right on 277. I shoot the 130 Lee also but you can't put as much steam behind those as you can the Lyman. The lee bullet shoots good in my guns , it does good till the rams and you have to hit them high , but the 160 will take down everything like a hammer. My first question ,I was feeling that from the I understood your post
sabbathman
Target Painter

Post by sabbathman »

Great responses thanks so much. Now of course I have lots more questions for all of you.

I have been casting bullets for a goodly amount of years for my handguns that I use to shoot combat style, that is various .357 and.45 acp.

I used to shoot silhouette in the early 80's and have my one and only 40x40 with the rcbs cast 180 from a .357 10 inch contender.

I tried unsuccessfully to do that with cast 7 tcu, the rcbs 168 I believe. The gas checks would sometimes stay on and sometimes fall off right after exiting the barrel, i got really frustrated with that!

I learned a lot of how to cast from my good friend Weston Horne of Idaho Falls.

So my questions are these...what would you do to clean the barrel of the copper?

Secondly, what is used to make the chamber mold and does it come out in one piece? I can definitely see the wisdom in making this mold.

And thirdly, who has the above mentioned molds for sale? The reason of going with a Lee mold was cost.

Thanks
high standard 40
Class A

In answer to your second question, here is a very good tutorial on doing a chamber impression using what is called a "chamber slug" or "pound cast"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... amber+slug

For your third question, choosing a mold based just on price may or may not suit your needs based on how well the resulting bullet fits your chamber based on the measurements you get from your chamber cast. There are many places to get molds. Get those chamber measurements first and we can then make further recommendations.
IHMSA Member since 1980
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
marshall623
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57357

Post by marshall623 »

{ I tried unsuccessfully to do that with cast 7 tcu, the rcbs 168 I believe. The gas checks would sometimes stay on and sometimes fall off right after exiting the barrel, i got really frustrated with that!}

I've heard of the older Lyman checks coming off , I've had zero problems with Hornady checks even in the 7-08 striker with the checks seated below the case neck. Way to go with the 40 with the 357 Mag. tender I'm sure that was open sights then. The one thing I notice when putting on gas checks is, with the lee 130's is I have to use the gas check seater on my lube sizer - the lyman bullet the checks snap on with your fingers . I use the seater on all to make sure they are on square . On e bay and on cast boolits some folks sell Gator brand checks and I've heard only good things about those.
sabbathman
Target Painter

Post by sabbathman »

OK thanks high standard for the web link, thanks marshal for the gator info, ill research them.

i used hornady GC on my rcbs 168 and seated them in my sizer too, that's why i was so disappointed when they'd go flying off the bullet! they worked so good on the .357!

I'll get the stuff needed for that chamber cast and let ya guys know when i do.

Is there something that works really well for removing copper?
high standard 40
Class A

On the subject of removing copper fouling, opinions vary. I would use a popular brand of bore solvent designed especially for removing copper and stay at it till the barrel is clean. A word or two of warning: don't leave an ammonia based cleaner in the bore for a long period of time and use a coated rod with a good bore guide. When finished, be sure to apply a protective coating of oil.

Once the barrel is clean and is digesting only cast bullets, I'd do all my cleaning with Kroil only.
IHMSA Member since 1980
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer