30 cal bore rider

americanjack1
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

30 cal bore rider

Post by americanjack1 »

im looking for a lyman 311334 mould or possobly just to buy 100 of these boolits sized to .311 for my 03a3 eather way thanks and have a good day
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Re: 30 cal bore rider

Post by Richard Pickering »

Hey Jack. It would be helpful if we knew how you intend to use these. Maybe you'd get better responses. You might also consider the Saeco 301 and Lyman 311335 in your search. RP
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
americanjack1
Target Setter

Post by americanjack1 »

my intended use is in a 1903a3 2 groove and i would like to beable to see 2300 fps so a gas check is a must and i think heat treated too these are to be for 100 yrd and 200 yrs off hand target and possibly local elk if the combo shoots accuratly
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B

Jack, are you a Cast Bullet Assn member ? There is much information on mil-surp and cast bullets. I wonder if your target load-----after it is developed, will be suitable for hunting use. You should read a bit on the use of cast bullets in hunting. Yes, there was a time when cast or swaged lead was all we had. We also used larger diameter than .30 for much of that. I'm sure you are aware that poking a hole or two in an animal may not equal a clean and humane kill. It takes some work to create a .30 bullet that offers some expansion. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
americanjack1
Target Setter

Post by americanjack1 »

rp yes im trying to come up with a 30 cal projectile that will expand at well "now" at 1800-2000 fps and be extremely accurate so im looking at a water quenched ww alloy and im not sure if this is right but its what i have read the outer should end up around 16bhn and the inside around 12bhn so if this is right i should be able to get a gc boolit to go 2000 and expant on impact???????any outher ideas would be great im trying to come up with a cheep but reliable way of testing the expanition of this at the range
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B

Jack, Others may disagree---or even prove me wrong on this----but, I believe cast bullets are homogenous in composition. That means they exhibit the same hardness throughout. If they are air cooled, water quenched, or heat treated and quenched, that batch are as hard inside as on the surface. To me that means cast for hunting should be air cooled and preferably of larger diameter. Also, a cast bullet for hunting should be blunt nosed. You see this in the Lyman 311041 and 375296 as well as in Veral Smith's LFN and WFN designs as well as others.
Testing bullets in water filled gallon jugs is one way to gain some insight and testing in wet newsprint is another. If you try these I'd be interested in the results.
There are some who have been able to cast a ''two alloy'' bullet. By using soft lead for the nose and a harder alloy for the body you could have toughness and expansion----if the two halves weld properly. RP
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B

May I also refer you to www.castboolits.gunloads.com as a reference. You'll find several responses to the questions you have as well as about a month's worth of reading on related subjects. RP