Larger diameter bullets for better accuracy?

United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Larger diameter bullets for better accuracy?

Post by jmoore »

And I don't mean for a particular caliber. Have had increasing success getting cast bullets to shoot well out of revolvers as the size went up. .357 was a miserable failure. .41, so-so. .44 isn't too bad but takes lots of work. But the .45 Colt in several revolvers has been easy to get usable field pistol accuracy. Currently running a S&W 625 that is producing as good of scores as I've ever had in Field Pistol. (It's actually entered as a PHSC gun due to the fatory porting.) Seems to like just about any old thing that I've tried.

Any thoughts as to why the big bullets seem easier to shoot well?
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Re: Larger diameter bullets for better accuracy?

Post by Hosspower »

Better seal as it goes down the tube I would assume. I'm not much of a lead shooter but from the reading I have done a good seal helps.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

He refers to larger diameter bullets as in 45 is larger than 44, etc. The argument of larger diameter within that caliber choice such as .430 rather than .428 has been around a long time. Yes, the better the gas seal at the throat, the more likely to produce better accuracy----assuming other factors are correct.
Jonathan, we'll just have to see if there are any other post to support your experience. Richard
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

I get confused easy.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

There seems to be not much drama in getting stout 30-20 and 32-20 cast bullet loads to work well out of Contenders, etc., so the big bore phenomenon might be revolver-centric. Or even S&W specific, but I've had about the same results in range testing the Colt Python vs. Anaconda. Anaconda does better than the Python with cast projectiles, but my sample size is just those two particular revolvers in that brand.

Somebody with a pile of Freedom Arms revolvers in the various calibers might have the best insight.