44 Special for PH Short Course

United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

44 Special for PH Short Course

Post by 260 Striker »

I have the urge to shoot PH Short Course with 44 Special and 245 grain Lee cast round nose plain base bullets. Just looking for a mild but accurate load that will group well out to 100 yards. I figured the old round nose design would be just as accurate as a SWC for the short course. Shot lots of 44 mags over the years but not many Specials. Any good loads out there that I could try. I'm guessing my best accuracy would be in the mid-800 fps range with the Lee bullet. Bullets cast out of wheel weights, sized .430 and lubed with LBT Blue lube. Will be nice to shoot a mild load that won't beat me up. I saw an old 44 Special thread on the FP forum but not much help there. I will be using a six inch Taurus M44 with 4X scope. This gun is legal for PH but not for any other IHMSA category since it is ported. Doesn't make sense to me but I am easily fooled.
Thanks for any good loads that you would care to share with me.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
Vietnam
BADDOG-0302
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 566

Re: 44 Special for PH Short Course

Post by BADDOG-0302 »

See if you can find any data for the 44 Mag. and Trail Boss, the Cowboy action shooters may be able to help. When the S/O started shooting I loaded a 250 gn SWC over 7.0 or 7.5 gn. of Unique. I found that a pinch of "poly filler" to hold the powder charge ar the rear of the case helped. It's a PITA pulling a pinch of the filler and then stuffing it in a case, but it dosen;t cost much.
Send my your mail to address and I'l send you some.

Wayne Smith