44 Special for PH Short Course

44 Special for PH Short Course

Postby 260 Striker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:16 pm

I have the urge to shoot PH Short Course with 44 Special and 245 grain Lee cast round nose plain base bullets. Just looking for a mild but accurate load that will group well out to 100 yards. I figured the old round nose design would be just as accurate as a SWC for the short course. Shot lots of 44 mags over the years but not many Specials. Any good loads out there that I could try. I'm guessing my best accuracy would be in the mid-800 fps range with the Lee bullet. Bullets cast out of wheel weights, sized .430 and lubed with LBT Blue lube. Will be nice to shoot a mild load that won't beat me up. I saw an old 44 Special thread on the FP forum but not much help there. I will be using a six inch Taurus M44 with 4X scope. This gun is legal for PH but not for any other IHMSA category since it is ported. Doesn't make sense to me but I am easily fooled.
Thanks for any good loads that you would care to share with me.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
Air Force Veteran
Retired Civil Servant
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: 44 Special for PH Short Course

Postby BADDOG-0302 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 pm

See if you can find any data for the 44 Mag. and Trail Boss, the Cowboy action shooters may be able to help. When the S/O started shooting I loaded a 250 gn SWC over 7.0 or 7.5 gn. of Unique. I found that a pinch of "poly filler" to hold the powder charge ar the rear of the case helped. It's a PITA pulling a pinch of the filler and then stuffing it in a case, but it dosen;t cost much.
Send my your mail to address and I'l send you some.

Wayne Smith
BADDOG-0302
Target Painter

Return to Cast Boolit