Fire Forming 270 Ren Cases From 22 Hornet Brass

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
50sniper
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Fire Forming 270 Ren Cases From 22 Hornet Brass

Post by 50sniper »

Can anyone tell me how to fire form 270 Ren cases from 22 Hornet brass? I have fire formed cases for IHMSA many years ago but not the 270 Ren and I can not remember the sequence. Want to be safe about it.

Thanks, Mark
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: Fire Forming 270 Ren Cases From 22 Hornet Brass

Post by Jimologist »

I am assuming you have the die set with a tapered expander ball.

I always just expanded the mouths doing it very slowly and gradually and ran the hornet cases all the way into the sizer die. Them i loaded them with my normal load and fired them , usually at a match and for score.

They came out very straight walled and from that point all i did was check length. I never got many loadings before the cases started splitting. I did not anneal and that might have been the reason for the short life.

I know guys who used cream of wheat, oatmeal and tissue paper, but i never did subscribe to those methods.

Maybe somebody else will chime in and elaborate on a method using fillers.

FYI I shot mine in an RPM and was shooting light bullets in field pistol and heavy bullets in BB standing. I finally gave up on it because of ringing Rams.
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Post by 64XP-100 »

Jimologist wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:51 pm I always just expanded the mouths doing it very slowly and gradually and ran the hornet cases all the way into the sizer die. Them i loaded them with my normal load and fired them , usually at a match and for score.

They came out very straight walled and from that point all i did was check length.
Did you trim length to Hornet 1.4" or "magnum" 1.28"?
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

Its been years but i dont remember trimming. Rock was one of the inventors of the Ren or at least one of the developers. Its possible his chambers were cut to accomodate untrimmed cases.

I also had a TC barrel at this time and the same load in the TC barrel gave indications of excess pressure. But were fine in the RPM XL barrel.
If i did any trimming it would have been just to square the mouth.
United States of America
50sniper
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 50sniper »

Thanks for the information. I have a starting point now.