Winchester WLP vs CCI 350

Questions on all things reloading
User avatar United States of America
kerdunk
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57879

Winchester WLP vs CCI 350

Post by kerdunk »

Has anyone used these 2 primers interchangeably without adjusting loads or sight settings? My specific application is 44 Mag with AA 9. But I’m curious what anyone may have experienced in any caliber.
Tim Downs
IHMSA #57879
NRA Life Member
Teacher
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: Winchester WLP vs CCI 350

Post by Jimologist »

Its a good question. I use the WLP in my .41 mag load and have never used anything else.

However, I load a zillion rounds with small rifle primers and up until a few years ago I loaded exclusively with Remington 7 1/2.

From what i understand the closest primer to the Rem 7 1/2 is the Federal 205M benchrest primer.

Recently primers have been impossible to get. Only very recently have started coming back on the market at ridiculous prices. So I have started using whatever I had stockpiled or have been able to buy from anybody.

Personally for our game, i dont think it makes enough difference to matter. I load .22 hornet (for two guns) .300 whisper (for two guns) 6.5 TCU, 7 TCU, 6.5 BR, 7 BR, and .223 (for two guns.)

I am currently using Rem 7 1/2 ( Im down to about my last 1k), Federal 205M, Federal Blue box 205, Winchester WSR, Wolf, Sellier and Belliot, and some real old suspect CCIs.
I dont use them interchangeably, I try to run a batch of reloading with the same primer. However I have mixed and matched on my standing loads.

Due to the shortage I even loaded my last 2,000 hornet loads with WSP small pistol and those are the ones i shot this year. I couldnt see any difference.

My advice is load a dozen rounds with both primers, put a scope on the gun and see if there is a marked difference.

Jim
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: Winchester WLP vs CCI 350

Post by 35isit »

Like Jim I don't think it will change a lot on a particular steel target. I feel if your optimal fps is close you will be ok. My field pistol load shoots better with one primer than it does with another. But that's on paper not steel. If things don't change soon, we will be using flintlocks.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director