.30-20 load data for Contender

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
Jim Sluder
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 3905

.30-20 load data for Contender

Post by Jim Sluder »

It's been many years since I shot a silhouette match. I wanted to reload some of my Standing brass, but cannot locate any of my old load data, or find any current data using 150 grain .308 caliber bullets. I think that I was using H-4227 with a Hornady 150 grain FMJ-BT bullet. If someone can point me in the direction of some published (i.e., Internet) data, or share a load using these components, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: .30-20 load data for Contender

Post by Jimologist »

Hi Jim!

Welcome back. Its been a few years and glad to see you shooting silhouettes again.

I never used a 150 grain bullet but I did use H4227 and now since H is discontinued IMR4227.
In my experience the two powders are interchangeable and thats why H4227 was dropped.

I used a 168 grain bullet HPBT match and 10.5 grains of 4227. It chronographed at 1125 FPS.
My notes dont specify but I used to use Rem 7 1/2 primers in everything. Today I use whatever i have.

I shot it standing and production both.
I experimented with 110s and 120s but rang targets. I do not know why I didnt try 150s.

If you have access to the old IHMSA news either because you kept them or have the thumb drive with all the old issues, check Jan. 1993. There was an article called Loading the Little 30s. It specifically talks of .30 carbine, 32-20, and 32 HR. But unfortunately it is only lists loads for cast bullets.

Good to see you out and about and still kicking.

Jim Kesser
United States of America
Jim Sluder
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 3905

Post by Jim Sluder »

Hi, Jim -

Thank you for the information! I do have old copies of the IHMSA News, going back to August 1978 (and a few older than that, like Vol 1/No 1). I will check out that issue. The heaviest bullet I could find online reloading info for only went up to 130 grains. Just hoping I can find something to get me back in the ballpark, charge weight-wise. The 150 grain Hornady bullet (FMJ/BT, with cannelure) worked really well for me, and I don't remember ever ringing a target with it. After trying a number of different gun/caliber combinations over the years, I finally settled on the T/C in .30-20 for Standing. Was very pleased with it, but gave up silhouette not long after that.

Can't believe how dang expensive jacketed bullets have gotten! Almost three times what I was paying for them when I was shooting silhouette. $-) I have several boxes of 154 grain 7mm Hornady, and 200 grain .35 caliber Hornady bullets maybe I should put up in the Classifieds?

Thanks, again, for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Jim Sluder
IHMSA 3905-L
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Jim Sluder wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:46 pm Hi, Jim -

Thank you for the information! I do have old copies of the IHMSA News, going back to August 1978 (and a few older than that, like Vol 1/No 1). I will check out that issue. The heaviest bullet I could find online reloading info for only went up to 130 grains. Just hoping I can find something to get me back in the ballpark, charge weight-wise. The 150 grain Hornady bullet (FMJ/BT, with cannelure) worked really well for me, and I don't remember ever ringing a target with it. After trying a number of different gun/caliber combinations over the years, I finally settled on the T/C in .30-20 for Standing. Was very pleased with it, but gave up silhouette not long after that.

Can't believe how dang expensive jacketed bullets have gotten! Almost three times what I was paying for them when I was shooting silhouette. $-) I have several boxes of 154 grain 7mm Hornady, and 200 grain .35 caliber Hornady bullets maybe I should put up in the Classifieds?

Thanks, again, for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Jim Sluder
IHMSA 3905-L
Jim
I would be interested in the .35 Hornady bullets should you decide to sell
Melvin Calliham
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
HHI6818
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by HHI6818 »

Here’s a lot of 30-20 loads with heavy bullets.
Attachments
30-20 TC Load Data.pdf
(528.12 KiB) Downloaded 194 times