CCI 41 and Small Rifle Magnum primers in BR cases

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

CCI 41 and Small Rifle Magnum primers in BR cases

Post by 7br »

I picked up 1000 small rifle magnum primers. Has anyone used them in 7br or 6br loads? I have read that CCI 41 primers are basically sr magnum primers with a harder cup? Has anyone used them in the br cartridges?
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: CCI 41 and Small Rifle Magnum primers in BR cases

Post by Jimologist »

In a search of various websites, the consensus is that regular versus benchrest versus magnum offer little difference.

There are many threads about this identical topic.

If you have access to a chronograph, i would test 5 with your regular load and your normal primer compared to these magnums.

One thread i read said that the difference is less than 5%. If you’re running 2000 or less out of a pistol thats probably way less than 100fps.

I would test in your gun because in my experience, when it comes to reloading, everything is a variable and affects the outcome.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: CCI 41 and Small Rifle Magnum primers in BR cases

Post by aggshooter »

I ran a test using my 6.5br. The magnum primers were 50-60 fps faster. BUT, in my gun, the firing pin spring is a bit weak, and there seemed to be a lag between the trigger pull and ignition. The gun would go bang fairly promptly, but the mag primers seemed a little harder and ignition didn't seem to be as fast. And that appeared to have a detriment on accuracy as the firing pin moved but ignition was slower. I'll do more testing after the IHMSA Championships.
Your mileage may vary.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000