Coated Bullets and Leading

Questions on all things reloading
User avatar United States of America
kerdunk
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57879

Coated Bullets and Leading

Post by kerdunk »

Does anyone have experience with coated bullets? I am particularly interested to know if you have observed any reduction in leading as a result of the coating and what bullets and bullet suppliers you have used.
Tim Downs
IHMSA #57879
NRA Life Member
Teacher
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Re: Coated Bullets and Leading

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

I am very green in this area. However, I am very impressed with Missouri Bullet Company. I've shot their 357 180 grain and 30 cal 165s out of lever guns. I don't believe leading can or will be a concern with coated bullets.
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

I cast and powdercoat my own bullets, but only use the powdercoat for limited applications. None of my current silhouette loads are coated as I haven't seen the need. I get zero leading with traditional lube in 357 Mag, 7TCU, and 7BR. I use powdercoat in my hunting loads up to 2200fps.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by Polaris »

I have flirted briefly with coated bullets in 9mm, .357 and .41 Magnum. I am generally not a fan. They were acceptable in 9mm for generic blasting/IDPA type ammo.

In the revolver cartridges, I found them inferior for either high performance or reduced loads. At higher velocities, they failed in the leading department in .41 mag. In this case I was using MBC factory "hi-tek" coating.

.357 ACME brand coated 158 SWC were acceptable in the leading department, although I never tried to stomp on them. Was just firing a ".357 special" load in the 1000fps ballpark over HS-6. In both cases, accuracy across velocity ranges was inferior to either MBC, Penn traditional hard-cast wax lubed and jacketed varieties.
United States of America
cast309+358
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 8429

Post by cast309+358 »

I've only used powder coating from "Smoke" from the Castboolits website forum and have had great luck. No leading in my 7tcu or 357 max. I have to make sure that I'm using the correct procedure for coating and then baking long enough. Keep trying. From what I hear from others blogging, getting the right powder is key to success.