Progressive reloading presses

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Progressive reloading presses

Post by forest341 »

How can reloading using this type of press allow for length measuring, length trimming, cleaning, primer pocket reaming, inspections for splits necks, and occasional annealing?
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: Progressive reloading presses

Post by Jimologist »

All of the case prep operations you listed are done before the case gets loaded. I use both a dillon and a single stage press and the case prep is the same for both. I will admit that i spend more time on the cases for my unlimited guns than i do for standing guns.

I would also admit that i have used cases with split necks in standing categories (usually TC’s)
and they seem to knock the target down just as well as a perfect, new, prepped case.
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

I use a Dillon & do a 2 step operation using 2 tool heads. First I deprime and neck expand. Then I inspect all cases and clean primer pockets. The second tool head is used to drop powder and seat the bullet.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by forest341 »

deleted
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I size, prep and clean my brass. Then load my 7tcu, 25/20 on a single stage and my .357 on a Lee turret press.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

forest341 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:36 pm You trim the length before the cases are sized?
How & when is the case lube removed?
If you throw/drop your powder charge in the press, that requires a lot of confidence in the amount is consistent every time. Can you use powders that are bulky or with a long cylindrical shape without getting problems?
I like to pay attention to the feel of the effort required when seating each bullet. Do the bigger presses provide any kind of this feel?
I only neck size; so no lube is required. I do check powder weight every 5 rounds. The Dillon measure is very accurate. N-140 and N-110 are no problem.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
Shaggy357
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 42649

Post by Shaggy357 »

My brass is sized on a single stage RCBS press. I do all of the prep work and prime. Brass that is prepped and primed is loaded on the Dillon if powder measure is dumping +- .1 grain. Some stick powders vary too much so I run the powder out of the Lyman power dispenser then load. I recently loaded 400 6.5 Grendel on the single stage. Stick powder and easier to seat the bullet after powder. I have 550 7TCU primed and ready to load on the Dillon. The Dillon drops this fine grain powder right on. Loading these should take about an hour for powder drop and bullet seat.

Steve
Steve. :)

“Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaud, or stay seated and cry?” Shaggy357 2002