Loads that I used

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
RWoods
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Loads that I used

Post by RWoods »

When I was shooting. I used the 270 REN, 22 Hornet and the 300 Whisper. My buddy Tom used these calibers also. We didn't like shooting loads that had a tendency to pound your face or eyebrow. So we finally ended up with these loads.

22 Hornet - We used this load with our scope gun and the open sight gun. For the CHICKENS, PIGS and TURKEYS. 4 grains of WST, 50 grain PSP Remington bulk bullet and a Federal Federal match primer. This load produced just over 1200 fps. Plenty to take down the C, P, and T. Easy to shoot, you could concentrate on maintaining your sight picture without worrying about recoil. For the RAM we used 9.3 grains of IMR 4227, Sierra 52 grain HPBT and a match primer. This combo produced a little over 1800 fps. Even a hit at the Rams foot would go down. Yea we had two loads but the accuracy was worth the little bit of extra effort.

270 REN Just one load here, use it for the scope gun and the open sight gun Again 4 grains of WST, either the REM bulk 100 grain PSP or Sierra 90 grain PSP and a Federal match primer. This produced just under 1200 fps. This was enough velocity to take down the rams every time. Recoil again was light enough to again concentrate on sight picture. I once shot a 37 with the open sight barrel. It tied the NRA National record. But because our matches were Approved not Registered, it didn't count. Anyway I had fun shooting it.

300 Whisper. I spent a lot of time and bullets and powder on this one. I finally settled on these. For the 14 inch barrel with a scope on it. 150 grain Rem PSP, 9 1/2 grains of Accurate No9 and a Rem 7 1/2 B.R. primer. This load was easy shooting and very accurate. Muzzle velocity was just under 1200fps. As long as you hit the Pig and the Ram in the body. They will go down. For the 10 inch open sight barrel. I used a Sierra 125 grain PSP, 9.3 grains of IMR 4227 and a Rem 7 1/2 B.R. primer. Since I held this at arms length. I did not worry about recoil. In the barrel I had, it was really accurate.

300 Whisper Cast bullet loads. For the 14 inch barrel with a scope. I used a 170 grain Leadhead bullet, 9.5 grains of Accurate No.9 with a CCI 400 primer. A really accurate load, no kidding. I once shot a 1 1/2 inch group at 150 yards with this load. For the 10 inch barrel open sights. I used a 125 grain Leadhead bullet, 9.3 grains of IMR 4227 and a CCI 400 primer. This was pretty accurate too. But nothing like the 165gr.

While I was rummaging in my reloading room. I found two partial boxes of the 165 grain and the 120 grain Leadhead cast lead bullets. I will get
them counted and posted as soon as I can. If you try these loads. I hope you have as good luck as Tom and I had with them
Last edited by RWoods on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: Loads that I used

Post by aggshooter »

Good info, thanks!!
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000