7mm BR

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
Oldfella
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 19952

7mm BR

Post by Oldfella »

just curious, I have seen a few posts about Sierra and Hornady bullets being used in the BR, but not Speer. Why is that?. They sell 130gr, 145gr, and 160gr.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Re: 7mm BR

Post by LOCKHART »

I know that Speer bullets, of any kind, are hard to find. Cabelas has hardly any. But, I used Speer 160 grain in my XP-100 7BR. Shot real well.
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

Oldfella wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:56 pm just curious, I have seen a few posts about Sierra and Hornady bullets being used in the BR, but not Speer. Why is that?. They sell 130gr, 145gr, and 160gr.
big reason on speer bullets is price and they do not offer bulk quantities. most of us use Sierra and Hornady because we can reload cheaper.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Oldfella wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:56 pm just curious, I have seen a few posts about Sierra and Hornady bullets being used in the BR, but not Speer. Why is that?. They sell 130gr, 145gr, and 160gr.
I’ve shot thousands of the Speer 160’s, in the early days on hard set rams,with H335!
United States of America
PRR1957
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by PRR1957 »

Back in the early 1990’s when I got back into IHMSA, I used a T/C Contender 14” in 7T/CU with Speer 130 gr for the chickens, pigs, and Speer 145 gr for the turkeys and rams. Always did the job. Ended up using Nosler 140 gr BT latter. The Nosler’s cost more money, but because of the tapered bullet jacket and thick jacket base, I believe they had more dwell time on the rams which nocked them down with more authority.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

Nutcase, in regards to Speer bullet prices, I've found just the opposite. Highest prices are Sierra's, next Hornady, and the cheapest have been Speer bullets. But, for some reason, it's very hard to find Speer bullets anywhere.
nutcase
Site Admin

Post by nutcase »

LOCKHART wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:40 am Nutcase, in regards to Speer bullet prices, I've found just the opposite. Highest prices are Sierra's, next Hornady, and the cheapest have been Speer bullets. But, for some reason, it's very hard to find Speer bullets anywhere.
I was finding the opposite till recently. But I buy in Bulk though. Cannot say Sierra's are cheaper now as they raised their prices a lot in the last couple of years.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
United States of America
PRR1957
Target Setter

Post by PRR1957 »

nutcase,
Every one who manufactures bullets with copper and or lead the prices have been raised over the years. Part of it is just the standard cost of materials have been raised. Copper usage has increased do the it being used in more electronic components and devices. It is also traded such as gold and silver, so its daily price fluctuates. Lead usage has all the EPA regulations to deal with so that has increased its cost even though lead is being used less in other industries, and because of that lead is actually more available for bullet manufactures. Then there is the general cost of manufacturing has risen do to increases such as liability insurance, labor, energy, taxes both property and sales, inflation, etc., but the biggest factor is probably the cost of copper. Brass cartridge cases have risen also over time do to being copper alloyed with zinc. Zinc which is another metal that is being used more often now either as zinc alloyed with copper, aluminum, titanium or zinc as an alloying agent, and zinc plating. Plus factor in all the bullet and ammunition manufactures in production now. That list is very long and getting longer, and they all are vying for these metals which the mining of the raw the metals and the refining of them there cost have risen for a lot for the same reasons. In general, everything has increased in cost.
nutcase
Site Admin

Post by nutcase »

PRR1957 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:25 am nutcase,
Every one who manufactures bullets with copper and or lead the prices have been raised over the years. Part of it is just the standard cost of materials have been raised. Copper usage has increased do the it being used in more electronic components and devices. It is also traded such as gold and silver, so its daily price fluctuates. Lead usage has all the EPA regulations to deal with so that has increased its cost even though lead is being used less in other industries, and because of that lead is actually more available for bullet manufactures. Then there is the general cost of manufacturing has risen do to increases such as liability insurance, labor, energy, taxes both property and sales, inflation, etc., but the biggest factor is probably the cost of copper. Brass cartridge cases have risen also over time do to being copper alloyed with zinc. Zinc which is another metal that is being used more often now either as zinc alloyed with copper, aluminum, titanium or zinc as an alloying agent, and zinc plating. Plus factor in all the bullet and ammunition manufactures in production now. That list is very long and getting longer, and they all are vying for these metals which the mining of the raw the metals and the refining of them there cost have risen for a lot for the same reasons. In general, everything has increased in cost.
I know that, But Sierra raised their prices over 20% on some bullets about 2 years ago. some of them though just brought the prices to same cost as bullets of the same type. on average, All Mfrs average a 2-5% cost increase per year.

The one that hurt me the most was the SRA 30 Cal 175Gr TMK bullet. I can now buy Nosler and hornady bullets cheaper than this bullet where they used to be about same price. when I last bought these bullets on Sale for $32-33 a box 3 years ago, This bullet now is on Sale around $40-45 a box. Luckily I do not use this bullet much (about 100 per year).

The sierra price increase I was talking about was the 20% increase on certain bullets in 1 year.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
United States of America
PRR1957
Target Setter

Post by PRR1957 »

How long ago were the prices raised ? I haven’t shot any competition in a few years, so I haven’t followed what’s going on as for match bullets, at least price wise. If this is a more recent thing, it could be something to do with a rumor I heard recently that Sierra is going to offer factory loaded ammunition under their own brand. You could also call Sierra and ask them why they raised their prices.