The new 6 mm ARC

Questions on all things reloading
Norway
sodagun
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

The new 6 mm ARC

Post by sodagun »

Hello, I'm a long time sport shooter looking to build a bolt action pistol and get into metallic silhouette shooting, but I'm more interested in the shooting part than the handloading part. I saw Hornady just released the 6 mm ARC, could this be a decent factory round for metallic silhouette? Looks like it's not too far from 6 mm BR ballistically.

And what about the .224 Valkyrie, could that also be a viable option?
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: The new 6 mm ARC

Post by aggshooter »

Where are you located?

I would find out from your local match director if he finds this cartridge acceptable for his targets. Many ranges have targets that are not AR550 spec, and fast bullets will damage targets.
I had a 250 Savage Improved that I could not shoot at our home range due to target damage.

The reason folks reload for centerfire is to have loads that are both accurate and not too punishing in recoil. There is usually substantial savings in reloading your own match grade ammo.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

According to what little I've learned, the 6mm ARC (a 6,5 Grendel derivative) should be OK, if possibly a little marginal on Rams. (Less of an issue than in the past, if the Rams are well "calibrated".) MV looks like about 2400-2500 fps with a 108gr bullet and a 15" barrel.
User avatar United States of America
dwostler
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 55125

Post by dwostler »

Just shoot a 6.5mm Grendel or better, 300 blackout. even cheaper more available ammo.

Dennis O.