Forming 7 TCU Brass

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
jbolt
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57865

Forming 7 TCU Brass

Post by jbolt »

One of the barrels that came with my Contender is a 7 TCU so I'm going to use it as my production gun. While I have been hand loading for over 40 years I have no previous experience with the 7 TCU

I have some new Lapua 223 brass to make the 7 TCU brass. The Contender I purchased from a fellow club member gave me a Pacific Durachrome 2 dies set and a Redding sizer dies. I am not familiar with the Pacific dies. Another fellow shooter also gave me a new RCBS 2 dies set. Both the Pacific and RCBS sizing dies have tapered expanders that will fit into the 223 neck. The tapers seem short to me but I tried both dies on some cheap federal 223 brass and they both seem to work with the RCBC being smoother.

Questions:

Is it okay to expand the necks in one go or should they be sized in steps?

When sizing in one step or at the final if sizing in more than one step should I full size or back off the sizing die and just expand the neck?

After the first firing does this cartridge prefer neck sizing only or full length sizing? In general I full length size most bottle neck calibers I shoot just enough to bump the shoulder back a few thousands.
IHMSA #57865
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Re: Forming 7 TCU Brass

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

jbolt wrote:One of the barrels that came with my Contender is a 7 TCU so I'm going to use it as my production gun. While I have been hand loading for over 40 years I have no previous experience with the 7 TCU

I have some new Lapua 223 brass to make the 7 TCU brass. The Contender I purchased from a fellow club member gave me a Pacific Durachrome 2 dies set and a Redding sizer dies. I am not familiar with the Pacific dies. Another fellow shooter also gave me a new RCBS 2 dies set. Both the Pacific and RCBS sizing dies have tapered expanders that will fit into the 223 neck. The tapers seem short to me but I tried both dies on some cheap federal 223 brass and they both seem to work with the RCBC being smoother.

Questions:

Is it okay to expand the necks in one go or should they be sized in steps?

When sizing in one step or at the final if sizing in more than one step should I full size or back off the sizing die and just expand the neck?

After the first firing does this cartridge prefer neck sizing only or full length sizing? In general I full length size most bottle neck calibers I shoot just enough to bump the shoulder back a few thousands.
Utube has several videos of how to form 7 TCU brass. **==
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

It is OK to expand necks in one operation. I had some necks split if trying to just jamb the case into the FL die so go easy and use plenty of lube inside the neck. Also helps to inside chamfer the neck before expanding in case there is a small burr. FL sizing fired cases is fine as long as you don't set the shoulders back. You will also find the 7TCU is very easy to find accurate loads. I have fired many matches while fire forming cases and did not notice much difference in accuracy than using already formed cases. I used 139 Hornady bullets for first three animals and then loaded the 154 Hornady bullets for hard set rams. The ogive on both those bullets are very similar so you don't have to change the seater stem to load either bullet. You will find the 7TCU to be a mild recoiling but very accurate cartridge.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

to tell the truth, Lapua brass will probably be the worst brass to make 7TCU brass. The Lapua brass has a tendency to develop a Donut in the neck which requires neck turning the brass to get rid of. I made 200 cases from Starline and not one lost case and just had to fireform them. The 7TCU though is just as accurate with a case being fireformed.

Just use the Tapered expander die and you will be fine. just keep the neck lubed.

a trick a lot of us on the left coast do is to take a full length sizing die and back it off 1/2-3/4 of a turn after the case is fireformed. this allows a slight resizing of the case but does not push the shoulder back.

also, Accuracy has been found best when you seat the bottom of the bullet even with the neck. most 7TCU barrels have too long of a throat to ever get close to touching the rifling.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

I've found that if I anneal the necks on the .223 brass first, I have far fewer rejects. I have up to 10% loss without annealing. It's a pain in the rear, but my brass seems to last longer. Since I'm shooting them in an XP-100 I only neck size after the first firing. You might have to full length size if you are shooting them in a Contender or BF pistol.
United States of America
jbolt
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57865

Post by jbolt »

Thanks for all the info.

I ran 100 pieces of the Lapua through the die last night and they all formed fine. I see the issue with the Lapua brass. I made up a dummy round and they chamber fine so I will deal with any neck issues after the first firing if needed.
IHMSA #57865
wheelgun7360

Post by wheelgun7360 »

The 7 tcu is an amazing round for ihmsa. I use starline brass & anneal before necking up. I use the Hornady 139 powered by H-322. Very accurate. You will be pleased with the round.
United States of America
dan in mi
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 30384

Post by dan in mi »

nutcase wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 pm most 7TCU barrels have too long of a throat to ever get close to touching the rifling.
THAT is why I use 222 mag brass for my 7TCU. (and don't trim to spec, trim to consistent max length possible)

I also took a different expander - not sure of the brand -- that is longer than the std Pacific and swapped it out for a longer slower expander. I never lose a piece when forming.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

204 Ruger brass is easier to find than 222 Mag brass but you do need an expander that will enter the 20 cal necks. You will end up with longer brass and need to trim to length. When I used 223 parent brass, it was always too short and you never had to worry about it getting too long as 7 TCU.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

I have been buying Lake City military brass from Cabelas. It says on the package of 100 pieces that is has been deprimed and the primer pockets swaged to remove the military crimp. Well, whomever did the "swaging" wasn't too good at it because I had to do almost all of them over with an RCBS prime pocket swager. But after doing all that, I have found that it is very good brass, and I lose almost none to split necks upon forming them. And this is without my usual neck annealing. If you have a Cabelas or Bass Pro shop near you, you might try this brass. It is priced very well too, and has already been tumbled and shined.