357 Mag/Max hint

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

357 Mag/Max hint

Post by 260 Striker »

Recently shot my El Dorado Arms 357 Max and got a reloading tip from Bob Ochs who spotted for me.
The Max case sometimes gets a coke bottle look when full length resizing using 357 Mag/Max dies.
Bob suggested using a 38 Super FL die to full length fired Max cases.
I tried it and I don't get the coke bottle look now.
I still have to resize the cases with standard Mag/Max dies just deep enough to hold the bullets.
Then just flare, prime, charge, seat and crimp as usual.
Reloaded rounds just slide in and out of my EDA chambers.
Maybe others have known about this trick but just wanted to pass this on in case.
Thanks again to Bob Ochs for this tip.
I have not tried it for 357 Mag rounds but don't know why it wouldn't work there too.
Makes nicer looking rounds and I suspect does not work the brass as much as using Mag/Max dies to FL cases.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: 357 Mag/Max hint

Post by jmoore »

Sometimes the "Cowboy" dies made for cast bullets size the case less as well. And sometimes I just use the Lee Factory Crimp Die with the crimping portion removed to ensure minimal sizing, and size the bullet holding portion as needed. Works especially well with .44 Mag when trying to use swaged 0.432" bullets (my usual Field Pistol concoction), given that most dies are set up to firmly hold 0.429" jacketed bullets!

BTW, not all Lee FCD (and other sizing dies) are the same I.D., which is at the same time both convenient and annoying, unless you have way too many and have them labeled by diameter....