Phil Sharpe wax wads

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Phil Sharpe wax wads

Post by LOCKHART »

I read Sharpe's tome on reloading back in the 60's, and in his section on the then new .357 magnum, he was experiementing with thin sheets of bullet lube behind the lead bullet. He put a thin piece of paper in a metal baking pan and poured melted bullet lube on it to a depth of about 1/16th" and used a cutter of .357 diameter to cut the discs out. He loaded the powder charge in a primed case, inserted the lube wad, and then seated the bullet. This was to ease or prevent leading in the new magnum cartridge, which had a bad rep for leading the barrel. Has anyone ever tried this?
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Phil Sharpe wax wads

Post by 260 Striker »

Almost sounds like the old CF Ventures card wads sold years ago. CF Ventures sold thin wax sheets that were used to press over the powder charge of straight wall revolver cartridges then usually cast bullets seated on top. Said to eliminate leading. Sounded like a good idea but seemed to just disappear years ago.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

You could try the Ox Yoke brand Wonder Wads for .36 caliber perhaps with a wax paper backing.

May work with the faster powders that seem to incite leading. My solution for some time has been to fill the cases full of a fast rifle powder like 4227 or 4198. Eliminates powder position sensitivity and leading pretty much altogether when a happy, accurate combo is found.
United States of America
jbolt
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57865

Post by jbolt »

I know everyone has their preference but I'm sold on the LBT bullet lubes. I ran across this while working up a load to shoot 210 grain bore riders in my 30-30 win94 out to 500 meters. Eliminated the leading and let me increase the velocity.

I prefer the LBT commercial as it is hard enough to run through a bullet feeder on a progressive press without gumming up the works like soft lubes do. Does require a heater. Their softer lubes work just as well.

Never had any leading issues with it in either my Contender or lever guns in .357
IHMSA #57865