Powder Charges

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Powder Charges

Post by 260 Striker »

I have a Redding BR powder measure that is very precise and very repeatable. When I find an accurate load for a cartridge I look at the setting on the BR measure and write it down and put in my records for the next time I need to load that cartridge. I can dial right back to the same charge with no problem, or so I thought. Any powder measure is set to measure a specific "volume" of powder. As reloaders, we then insure that that volume gives us the desired weight. Once that volume is known, in my case the measurements on the BR measure, then it is just a matter to dial back to that same volume. Today I was loading some 7 BR cartridges with SR 4759 and had to move the measure back about 5 marks to get the same "weight" on the powder scale. Now if I am getting the same "weight" but at a different "volume" setting what has changed? My reloading room and supplies are kept at a pretty even temperature and humidity. I am using powder from the same container that I last used when the old "volume" setting matched my old "weight" setting. I am tempted to use the same "volume" setting on the BR measure and ignore if the "weight" of the charge has increased. In this case the weight increase was only about 3-4 tenths of a grain. I'm just curious if others have experienced the fluctuating weight of charges when using the same identical volume measurements.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
wheelgun7360

Re: Powder Charges

Post by wheelgun7360 »

Lynn. I have never owned a powder measure that throw accurate charges every time with stick powder and I have owned a bunch. They always would vary some as much as a half grain. The ball powder is different. Every measure I have tried with any ball powder is just about dead on every time. I have a Redding br that will throw h-110 or similar almost to the tenth of a grain. I use a chargemaster for my stick powder. Allen
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Powder Charges

Post by 260 Striker »

Hi Allen, My BR measure will generally be +- .1 grain if I keep the same cadence with the handle. My current issue is when any powder measure is set to give the same "volume" but the powder weight has changed then which is more accurate. Keep using the same "volume" or weigh every charge regardless of volume. Probably the most dead nuts measure I own is a Little Dandy with the different rotors. That thing is on the money every time and it is by "volume". To me the same volume of a safe powder charge should give me the same results every time regardless if the weight has fluctuated by a small amount. One tenth of a grain of SR 4759 is maybe two kernals of powder so I can't see that changing point of impact or raising pressure. I will continue to set my BR according to my notes and if the powder weight is off a little I will just live with it. The weight will probably go back to original value next time I use that setting with the same powder. I am not switching lots of powder but using the same can every time. Just one of those little things that bug me!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885