.41 Mag loads

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

.41 Mag loads

Post by Polaris »

New to the sport, putting some loads together over the winter for this coming summer (in MN, not many shooting opportunities in winter). Wondering what you folks shooting the .41 revolvers are slinging at steel? I do not cast my own, so bullet will have to be a production cast or jacketed projectile.
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: .41 Mag loads

Post by 35isit »

I don't have an exact load for you. About any 210 grain bullet that is accurate and comfortable to shoot. I'm sure some of our .41 shooters will give you some exact loads.

I see you are in Mn. Catch up with captainjohn and volleyman on here. They shoot air pistol during the winter. If you are close enough you may be able to attend one of their matches.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Post by jcunclejoe »

I use a 210 Hornady XTP over 20gr of H110 and a WLP primer in Starline cases.
The load shoots far batter than I am capable.

Good luck and welcome

Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

I have a great load using Leadhead Bullets 270 grain gas checked bullet, but it is for a Freedom Arms & I am hesitant to share it with anyone not shooting an FA. It is a total tack driver.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter

Post by Polaris »

Currently have a great load with the Nosler 210 over H110 that has served well for hunting for many years and playing around with some Missouri cast 215 over unique for shorter stuff. Have both the coated and standard cast. Was just looking to see if there was something out there I was not aware of.
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter

Post by Polaris »

Revisiting this now that my first match is behind me and I have a better idea of expectations of my load going forward.

What I learned today. My standard practice load for this pistol, a box-stock Blackhawk 6" was adequate for field pistol and BB chicks and pigs, even a bit stiffer than necessary. Load is 210 Berry, 9gr Unique, standard LR primer. Did get some leading towards the end, changed my POI a little and I lost a few Rams when I had good range, I may tweak this one down a couple of ticks in velocity and see if the groups hold.

Tried my big game load for targets past 100, 22 gr H110 pushing the 210 nosler. It hit where I pointed it (unfortunately in some cases, still getting used to shooting the SA wheelgun and following through properly again). Seemed to hold good wind and knocked rams with good power when I aimed at the right spot and kept the gun there through hammer drop. I would like to shoot all cast however. Does anyone know of a production cast bullet in the 210 range that will handle higher velocity loadings in the .41? I don't feel the need or desire to go heavier. 20 rounds of the full power big game load was enough for these hands!
JSH
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 52929

Post by JSH »

Kind of late with a response, from anyone.
I will throw at you on weight and speed. There can be some frustrating goings on when bullets come back through the sound barrier.
I played with my 41's and ran out of elevation, so I will need to do some load work.
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter

Post by Polaris »

Well, my Penn 215s finally arrived in late July, just in time for my work to go crazy and drown me in overtime. Now it's slowing down, so I hope to get out to the range for some more time with my "deer" load to make some brass, then back to the reload room and play with the Penns. According to their maker, they should handle up to 1400fps and shoot slightly flatter than the Nosler. He suggested IMR 4227 as a good option. I now have a pound of that to play with in addition to the H110.