Problem with 7BR

Questions on all things reloading
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Problem with 7BR

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

Check the die for the vent hole, most likely it is hidden under the lock ring, so you'll have to unscrew that. These vent holes can get plugged with grease and dirt. Clean the vent and the die body there and the inside of the lock ring.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
United States of America
xp-100
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57405

Post by xp-100 »

Redding dies do not have vent holes in them. Redding will tell you they don't drill them in their dies.
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA PC Coordinator(present)
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

When I think back about dents in cases I have had more issues with Redding dies than other makes. I'm sure most people would agree that Redding may be the top end dies but they may not be perfect. Moving metal back when just touching the shoulder has caused small indentation just below the shoulder for me and I suspect that is exactly what Richard has identified. When the dents are above the shoulder I don't see how they can happen unless there is a venting issue either air or lube dents appear. Most lube dents I have seen are also elongated and run parallel with the length of the case where the dents below the shoulder run horizontal to the case body when the brass is compressed when setting the shoulder back. Charlie, at least you are not alone when it comes to mysterious dents in cases!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

OK, let me add some confusion to the discussion. I just took some close measurements of sized cases; Redding vs RCBS.

Measurement #1 was taken at the point of the case shoulder. The Redding sized case measured .459" and the RCBS sized case measured .4555"

Measurement #2 was taken just ahead of the extractor groove. The Redding sized case measured .468" and the RCBS sized case measured .4665"

So as least as it applies to the dies I have in my possession, the RCBS die actually has tighter dimensions than the Redding.

Applying my logic to this information would nullify the "moving metal" theory because the RCBS die, at least in this instance, sizes more than the Redding.

I'm leaning more towards a venting issue.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

If you have an usized case you are willing to sacrifice take a small drill and make a hole at the neck shoulder junction to see if that will act as a vent and then try to size the case either with or without lube and see what happens.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

260 Striker wrote:If you have an usized case you are willing to sacrifice take a small drill and make a hole at the neck shoulder junction to see if that will act as a vent and then try to size the case either with or without lube and see what happens.
7BR brass being as scarce as it is, I'll see if I can find a discard somewhere. I might have an old case with a small neck split for this purpose since I keep all those old cases to sell for scrap value. Thanks for the idea.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer