Best brass for 7TCU?

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
dan in mi
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 30384

Re: Best brass for 7TCU?

Post by dan in mi »

I always made my 7TCU from R-P .222 mag brass. I didn't like .223 that always formed short 7TCU.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I have some 222 Rem Mag brass and also 204 Ruger brass and may use that later. I did make some TCU for my TC with that brass and it formed OK but I haven't shot it enough to know how long it would last. That will be next if my next experiment if the newer FC brass doesn't pan out.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

A little information for you on current production FC brass. There are basically 2 different types that you will come across. The difference being the thickness of the web. The thinner web FC brass is the one that people have problems with primer pockets because they lack the strength to hold up. These also can show more case head expansion. I have a piece of steel rod that will fit inside of a 223 case neck and this rod is slightly longer than the 223 case. I use this as a "standard" to zero my caliper. I then slide the rod all the way into a case then use the caliper to measure from the case head to the end of the steel rod. The resulting measurement reflects the case web thickness. I only use the cases with the thicker web. Some people say you can tell the two cases apart by the size of the letters on the headstamp. I have not found this method to be accurate. In fact to be really accurate in this measurement you need to be sure there are no burrs remaining inside the case from punching the primer flash hole. Richard Pickering alluded to exploring case webs in his earlier post.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Post by borregos »

All of my 7mmTCU cases come from 223 brass.
I have had splitting problems with Winchester cases and also found that some Federal cases seemed to be weak in the neck area and would deform slightly when seating the bullet, this prevented chambering.
I use RP brass exclusively now.
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
United States of America
dan in mi
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 30384

Post by dan in mi »

I should probably add that has been since 1985 and my newest brass is probably ~1998 vintage.