22 Hornet - TC Contender

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
StandingTall
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

22 Hornet - TC Contender

Post by StandingTall »

Just purchased a 10" 22 hornet octagonal barrel for my Contender. I had previously read that it may not stabilize bullets heavier than 50 grains, and well....that appears to be the case.

I loaded up some Sierra 53gr FBHP and Hornady 55gr FBSP and the results weren't that great.....hard to get even 6" shot grouping at best @ 50 yards. My load was 4.5gr W231 with CCI 400 primers. I have read elsewhere this is a valid silhouette load for the 22 hornet and folks using it were getting good results with it.

I have some Sierra 45gr spitzers on the way and would like to know your opinion on a good load to use for these that will take down the rams and at the same time not smack me in the face when using the taco hold with my scope.

Thanks for your input, folks.....
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Re: 22 Hornet - TC Contender

Post by Hosspower »

I use a T/C factory bull profile 22 hornet barrel. The twist rates must be different between bull and octagonal. I like most other guys use 55grain bullets and 9 to 10 grains of IMR4227. Groups are real good.

Check out this article for lighter bullets in the hornet.
http://www.lasc.us/RangingShot22Hornet.htm
Unsub
Target Setter

Post by Unsub »

I have been using 55g pills as well. The accuracy is not quite there, the 45g factory ammo is better. I am now on a search for that right pill unless the barrel has been shot out.
Regards Peter.
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Post by borregos »

Hosspower wrote:I use a T/C factory bull profile 22 hornet barrel. The twist rates must be different between bull and octagonal. I like most other guys use 55grain bullets and 9 to 10 grains of IMR4227. Groups are real good.

Check out this article for lighter bullets in the hornet.
http://www.lasc.us/RangingShot22Hornet.htm
Thanks for posting that link, very interesting! :)
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
United States of America
338whisper2
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57411

Post by 338whisper2 »

I have several Hornets they all shoot sub moa at 100 yards using 55gr.nosler & VV110 Powder.~o)
Life member IHMSA 57411L
Life member NRA
80X80
United States of America
johnranderson01
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 48827

Post by johnranderson01 »

Hi
Last winter I ordered another 22 hornet barrel and put a scope on it. I already had a hornet barrel with open sights. I had a bunch of ammo loaded with a 55 gr smp Sierra, 4.5 gr of ww231 and a small pistol primer. This load shot good from my open sight barrel. I took the new barrel and my old ammo and went to the range today to zero the scope and see how the load shot in my new barrel. There was a 20 mph wind blowing so I didn't expect to shoot great groups. I was delighted to find that the load grouped acceptably. This meant that I could use the same load in both of my barrels. Both of these barrels were of later TC manufacture dates. They were packaged new in plastic instead of a box. I tried a TC hornet barrel bought new in the mid nineties that came in a cardboard box. This barrel would not group 55 grain bullets. It shot well with bullets 45 gr and below if you pushed them hard. I got rid of that barrel long ago. It appears that TC changed the twist at some point allowing heavier bullets to be used.

John
John
IHMSA 48827L
Johnranderson21@gmail.com
Vietnam
BADDOG-0302
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 566

Post by BADDOG-0302 »

Do the cleaning rod test to see what twist your bbl. has, being as it's an older bbl. it may have a 1-14 twist.
United States of America
StandingTall
Target Setter

Post by StandingTall »

BADDOG-0302 wrote:Do the cleaning rod test to see what twist your bbl. has, being as it's an older bbl. it may have a 1-14 twist.
It's definitely a 1/14 twist. Got some 35gr Hornady, 45gr Sierra spitzers, and 50gr Sierra spitzers I'll be trying out soon.