Fireforming 7-30 Waters brass from 30-30. New territory!

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Fireforming 7-30 Waters brass from 30-30. New territory!

Post by jmoore »

Necked down about 40 Remington brand 30-30 cases so that the action on my TC just barely closes. So now there's a mess of weird double shouldered cases ready for???

Annealing? Seems like a good idea, but all I have is the old hand held propane torch. Not the best thing for consistency, but probably better than not doing it. Certainly was the case when I converted some 30-'06 brass to 7,7 Japanese. Quite a few of the CBC/Rio brand case necks split after some time sitting loaded.

Bullet? Have an RCBS 140gr 7mm mould on the way, but will a normal cast bullet load be the thing for the first firing? Would think so, but having never actually tried it, it seems best to ask beforehand. Factory jacketed 7-30 rounds weren't much fun to shoot, so hoping it will do as a CB platform. 14" barrel that came with a scope base rather than a rear sight, so cheap "unlimited" gun to test the waters of Big Bore.

Figured y'all would have a good handle doing this sort of thing.
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Fireforming 7-30 Waters brass from 30-30. New territory!

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

Just load and shoot them now. The double shoulder will fireform nicely. No annealing required. I don't shoot cast so I can't comment on using them. You will want to seat bullets so that they engage the rifling when closed, about .010-.015" INTO the lands That assures the case stays in place when fireformed, preventing it from stretching forward at the web to fill the chamber. With the bullets seated that way, you will need to snap the action closed to get it to lock up. I use any 150 grain bullet. I know a lot of TC barrels have a really long throat, and seating bullets to touch the rifling is impossible, but it doesn't seem to be that way with the 7-30 Waters barrels.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

If your barrel has a long throat then just seat the bullet so the base is even with the bottom of the neck. For some reason TCs with long throats seem to shoot OK at that setting. Since you have sized the brass to just close with slight resistance your brass will form OK. Me personally I have never gotten great accuracy with cast by seating into the rifling but that is just me. If you can find some AA5744 try about 18.0 grains with the RCBS 145. Should make a nice mild load and a good starting place. I also like SR4759 for cast bullets but that powder has been discontinued.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Thanks for the info!

Have both AA and IMR powders, and saw some new arrival of the 4759 at a store about 30 miles from the house about a month ago. May have a go at getting some more, as I reckon it's only made sporadically any more. Should be good for the 7,65 Argentine, too. (Another cast bullet project in the works but rifle, not handgun.)

If i do this class with any regularity, I probably ought to get a 6,5mm barrel of some sort as I have a big old stash of 85 and 100gr Winchester jacketed bullets that aren't being used elsewise. But the the 7-30 barrel was basically free, so....
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

JM - Buy all the SR4759 you can find. IMR quit producing all the SR powders last year so what ever is in the pipeline or on the shelves now is the last. I have used SR4759 in about five cartridges so far with cast bullets and they have all shot great. It is not for high velocity loads but is a great powder for cast bullets at mid-range velocities. AA5744 is also a great cast powder and is still in production but for some reason it is the MOST expensive AA powder. I use it in my 260 Striker with jacketed bullets and it is extremely accurate. Between those two powders you could load many different calibers/cartridges.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

Post by Proclaim »

jmoore, when it does come time to anneal your brass I highly recommend Anneal-Rite, http://www.cartridgeanneal.com This is a very simple annealing system and works great. It really surprised me how quickly I can do several hundred rounds of brass.
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Bought three pounds of SR4759. They don't seem to have sold any since it came in, so maybe I can get some more early next month.

Mould, handles, gas checks should be in today. But weather's good (above freezing, and winds aren't crazy), so I will probably be trying to get some more squirrels. Season ends soon! Been a slow year, hunting-wise. Casting session may have to wait a bit.
Oldfart
Target Painter

Post by Oldfart »

Sir if I may ask,where are you located and where did you find the SR4759? :-o
Thanks
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Jonathan-------go get all their 4759. Thanks. Richard
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
Oldfart
Target Painter

Post by Oldfart »

Richard Pickering wrote:Jonathan-------go get all their 4759. Thanks. Richard
Yep same reply I've got in mind :-\