Xp100 7mm Int load workup help

Questions on all things reloading
Unofficialgunaddict
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Xp100 7mm Int load workup help

Post by Unofficialgunaddict »

Hi everyone... I just (2 minutes ago) purchased a xp-100 7br that has been rechambered to a 7mm Int. It comes with dies and about 100 pieces of brass. I've never reloaded any kind of wildcat rounds, mostly 308 and 300 wm, but I'm so excited about the prospect of going hunting with this pistol. I remember when I was about 14 and a gentleman out at the range allowed me to shoot some silhouettes with this xp100 7mm br. I still remember that day and I've always wanted one, but xps that I bumped into over the years were either shot out, or in poor condition (within the price range I could justify/afford).

Well... I finally got one just now and I was hoping someone that has some experience could help me out a little with advice, tips, etc for loading it (as soon as it arrives). I've currently got some Varget, H4895, Imr4064 & 4350. No bullets yet in the 7mm range so I'm very open to suggestions, especially bullet/weight for deer out to 200 yards.

If anyone has access to some load data, I would greatly appreciate it, as I've looked and the info is pretty sparse. Wow... I can't remember being this excited since my 11th birthday when my mom and dad got me a winchester 840 12 gauge goose gun.

Thanks in advance!!!

James

-------------------
The definition of "Insanity": Only being able or allowed to own a single firearm.
image.jpg
image.jpg (175.94 KiB) Viewed 7729 times
Last edited by Unofficialgunaddict on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Definition of "Insanity": Only being capable of (or) allowed to own a single firearm.
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Re: Xp100 7mm Int load workup help

Post by Alvin »

If it's a 7BR rechambered to 7Int. it will use 7 Int-X dies. A 7Int. reamer will not quite work correctly in a 7BR chamber.....But...we're talking about loads. 30 grains of 4895 or 32 grains of 748 worked for me for many, many years. You chose the bullet...neither load is excessive, but very accurate.
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA
Unofficialgunaddict
Target Setter

Alvin wrote:If it's a 7BR rechambered to 7Int. it will use 7 Int-X dies. A 7Int. reamer will not quite work correctly in a 7BR chamber.....But...we're talking about loads.
Thanks for the help... So if I'm gathering this correctly, are you saying that the 7int in a 7br rechamber, could be problematic? Is there anything I should look out for when I take possession of the xp100? Man... I'm hoping I didn't pooch it with this purchase. The price was good. I'm hoping there isn't a good reason why! Here's a pic of the barrel

Thanks.
image.jpg
image.jpg (135.99 KiB) Viewed 7718 times
Definition of "Insanity": Only being capable of (or) allowed to own a single firearm.
Unofficialgunaddict
Target Setter

... Or are you talking about the reamer for the neck! Sorry... Told ya I'd never done wildcats before. I think it comes with a RCBS 7mm IHMSA Neck Ream Die #55000.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

When a factory XP 7BR barrel is rechambered to the 7 International cartridge it is actually know as the 7 International-X (aka 7 INT-X) versus a new 7mm barrel that is chambered from scratch for the 7 International cartridge. The original 7BR chamber is not fully cleaned up using a 7 International reamer due to the location of the original 7BR shoulder. The solution was to slightly widen the 7 International cartridge reamers to fully remove the old 7BR shoulder. For all intents and purposes both cartridges are the same but you do need to have 7 INT-X dies to correctly resize cases for your rechambered XP. I have owned two XPs that were rechambered from 7BR to 7 INT-X and they were excellent shooters. Since you are getting the dies with the gun, I'm guessing the previous owner must have loaded rounds for it and has the correct dies. The dies are probably made by Redding and will have 7 International X or some similar designation on the box. If you get 7 International dies they will work but you will be resizing and expanding the cases excessively each time you reload and fire the cartridges. Case life will probably be shorter but you will still be OK to shoot the gun. The Hornady 9th edition handbook on page 730 gives a description of the 7 IHMSA cartridge which is another name for the 7 International. I used 32.0 grains of H4895 with either a Hornady 139 grain or 154 grain bullet for my silhouette shooting. I suspect the 139 grain Hornady bullet would make an excellent hunting bullet. Brass can be formed from either 250 or 300 Savage. Since those two are harder to find, just use 308 Winchester brass and trim to 7 INT specs. For that matter, brass from any of the 308 family of cartridges can be reformed easily to 7 INT-X. It is a great cartridge and is difficult to find a load that is NOT accurate! XPs are great guns and can outshoot many rifles. You will enjoy your new gun and have a great cartridge for your hunting purposes. Don't forget to give silhouette shooting a try with that XP. After all, that is what it was made for.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
Unofficialgunaddict
Target Setter

Thank you so much for the help. The dies that are coming with it are RCBS and look like 7mm IHMSA. Here's a couple of images from the sale. So are these right... Or did the guys selling get it wrong? I sure have no clue!
image.jpg
image.jpg (182.44 KiB) Viewed 7709 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (187.57 KiB) Viewed 7709 times
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Can't really tell by the pictures if you have a FL die and seating die for the 7 IHMSA. Boxes says ream and file trim dies. If you have a "neck sizing" die for the 7 IHMSA then you can use them to reload your 7 INT-X since they won't work the body of the case and that is where the main difference is between a regular 7 IHMSA (aka 7 INT) and the 7 INT-X. You do need a die that has a decapping stem and at least to size the necks (NOT ream) and then a seating die so you can seat the bullets. Since there are two dies in the "ream" box I can't tell what you are really getting. If you use 250 or 300 Savage brass you will not even need the file/trim die since that brass will reform to the correct length for your 7 INT-X. If you reform 308 Winchester brass then you can use the file/trim die to get the correct length. If you already have a case trimmer, that can be used in place of the file/trim die. You may be OK, just hard to tell from the picture. Just have to check the dies when you get the gun to make sure you have at least a "neck sizing" die and a seating die for the 7 IHMSA. If you need to get extra dies, you can locate Redding 7 INT-X dies (full length sizer and bullet seater) by checking the Internet. They are not plentiful but do appear every so often. Even posting a Want Ad on this forum will probably locate a set for you too. Just have to wait and see what you get in the die boxes. I suspect you will have enough dies if the previous owner shot the gun and reloaded ammo for it.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
Unofficialgunaddict
Target Setter

Thank you! Here's some other images of the dies if that helps. The picture are bigger than the window, but with my ipad, I can move the images around within the post to see the entire image. Not sure what they look like in a pc... But hope you can see these.
image.jpg
image.jpg (165.33 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (179.37 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

I'm guessing the two dies in the one box are a file/trim die and neck ream die. You will hardly ever need these two dies if forming new brass from 250 Savage, 300 Savage (preferred) or even any of the 308 family of cartridges. Trimming will be necessary if you use the 308 family of cartridges but nothing that couldn't be handled by a case trimmer if you already have one of those. The other box with the three dies I'm guessing has a full length die, a neck sizing die and a seater die. These are the ones you will be using most of the time. As tonedaddy commented, use the neck sizing die most of the time until such time you may notice a little harder chambering of loaded rounds. You may then want to use the full length die to resize your cases and then go back to using the neck sizing die again. If you use the full length die, adjust I so you will just come down to the bottom of the neck but not set the shoulder back. Start out with the die away from the shell holder then adjust downward in small increments while trying the resized cases in your XP. You will eventually arrive at a setting where the cases will again chamber with just a slight resistance and this is the setting where you want to full length cases. With five dies, I'm sure you have all you need. If they are the 7 IHMSA and not the 7 INT-X you will still be OK by using the neck sizing die most of the time. I'm guessing the seating die has enough room too even for the slightly larger 7 INT-X cases. You will find many loads that will be accurate in this gun. You mentioned using it for hunting which will work very well but don't forget it was build for shooting silhouettes so by all means give that try too. Silhouette shooting is a great way to improve your hunting skills.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
Unofficialgunaddict
Target Setter

260 Striker... Thanks so much for all the info and help. I'm so freaking excited I can hardly stand it... As i just got the tracking info for the xp and it's being sent 3 day priority, so It should be here early next week!

I was out at brownells to order a Wilson case gauge (and they actually had one for this caliber) and some bullets. One issue I noticed is that the specs for the 7mm IHMSA cartridge has a .285" bullet, whereas every bullet in the 7mm range I could find were .284".

I'm wondering I'd the .285" is for cast lead bullets, and if it would be fine to use the copper plated Nolsers at .284".

Decided to hold off buying until I could get a firm... "Yeah... That will be fine".

Once I get the gun and some loads ironed out... I'll post my results. And 260... The local gun club does have a silhouette range... Though I rarely see anyone over there except occasionally during the summer. I'll have to step over there and give it a go on your advice. Sounds like it could be a kick.

Thanks again.

James