7mmTCU Load Question

Questions on all things reloading
watercam
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

7mmTCU Load Question

Post by watercam »

Thanks for all the posts on my recoil question! The 7TCU is much more user friendly than the .44 Mag.. Especially when shooting one-handed in prone. Or flop. Or what ever you are calling the Creedmoor type position (which my back loves). I am seeing numbers for the 7mmTCU loads here that are far different than what the load manuals (three that I have). The manuals are all calling for up to 29 grains of IMR4895 with 139 grain bullets. I am seeing loads in the 25 gr. range here. I am shooting a Contender with the usual 'generous' (outrageous is more like it) freebore. Before I found some 4895 I tried Reloader 10 with up to 26.5 grains and no problems. Was raining that day so the chronograph stated in the box. Any comments are welcome.
Thanks, Mike
P.S. What velocity keeps one from damaging the steel targets?
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: 7mmTCU Load Question

Post by 260 Striker »

With the target setting rules we have today, a person doesn't need the killer loads necessary in the early days to take rams. You also have to remember load manuals are geared more to hunting applications and are looking for max velocity. In my 7 TCU I was using 25.0 grains of H322 with 139 grain Hornady bullets for C, P and T then used 154 Hornady bullets for rams (extra insurance). Was pleasant to shoot and very accurate. H4895 can be downloaded and still give excellent accuracy. I doubt if your 7 TCU will ever damage targets even if using FMJ bullets. Most ranges now have the harder steel targets so rifle loads probably wouldn't even harm them. Our first targets were softer steel and they really got pounded by some of the early guns.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
watercam
Target Setter

Post by watercam »

Thank you very much!
KickBass
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57314

Post by KickBass »

I've shot a lot of 7 TCU, and my honey load with a 140 grain bullet has been 27.2 grains of Varget. Used to have a 150 load for rams, but haven't rang a ram for a long time with the 140 (which of course means I'll leave one tomorrow!).
IHMSA editor
4th grade spelling bee champion
Homecoming King runner up--'88, '89 Diamond (MO) HS
Past prom date for Tina "Boom Boom" Barlett