Anyone ever heard of the .30 Silhouette?

Questions on all things reloading
hunter5567
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Anyone ever heard of the .30 Silhouette?

Post by hunter5567 »

I found a SSK 14" barrel that is marked .30 Silhouette. There are no dies or brass with it and a call to SSK didn't reveal any information as it is not one their creations. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of it.
I guess a chambercast would reveal dimensions.
Thanks in advance.
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

Re: Anyone ever heard of the .30 Silhouette?

Post by Proclaim »

There is a 30 International (IHMSA) listed in the Reloading Guide for Handgun Accuracy, The Official Reloading Handbook of the IHMSA, Inc. It says it was formed from 300 Savage, head size of .473 inches. Overall length is 1.860 inches.
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
hunter5567
Target Setter

Post by hunter5567 »

Yea I'm hoping its the same as the 30 IHMSA since it should be easier to find some dies for it and 300 Savage brass wouldn't be difficult to find. IF I can get it at a discount barring an actual chamber cast to get dimensions it might be a worthwhile addition to my Contender stable. I'm currently starting load development for a 30-30AI and a 35 Rem.
If its some oddball chambering I doubt I'll fool with it as dies would be prohibitive to make for it. I guess it could be rechambered to a 309 JDJ or somesuch but would probably have too much in it after buying the barrel, getting it rechambered and getting dies for it, not to mention getting 444 brass. Maybe a rechamber to 30-40 Krag.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Can you at least tell whether it might take a .473 head dia case ? I seem to remember somewhere a .30 Silhouette was based on the .223/5.56 casing opened to .30. If this happened to be your parent case the head dia is .378''. Try a .308W and see how far it enters the chamber. If it wont go past the neck you might try a 5.56 casing. If that fits and closes you may have an answer. Let us know what you find-------inquiring minds---and all that. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
hunter5567
Target Setter

Post by hunter5567 »

Its apparently based on the 444 case. The rim cut matches the 444 rim and a 444 cartridge will go in the chamber about an inch. I can get the barrel for 175+tax+shipping but dies might cost more than the barrel if its not a 309 JDJ. Could get lucky and its a 444 case necked down with 308 dies. It has a TSOB mount on it also.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

This must be a barrel for an Encore since the "IHMSA" cartridges were considered too much pressure for the Contender. JD may have chambered this for a 30 Silhouette "rimmed" since it appears a 444 Marlin case will start to chamber. The body size just above the base is very close in dimensions for the 444 Marlin and the parent 300 Savage. You might be able to use standard 30 International dies with a 444 Marlin shell holder and end up with a very interesting cartridge. Would make a great cast bullet gun. Make sure about the Encore vs. Contender barrel though. I can't imagine JD cutting a Contender barrel for this cartridge but he did hot rod the 225 Winchester cases in the Contender with his JDJ cartridges so it might have happened in the barrel. Sounds like a fun barrel to try.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885