7-30 waters loads and ?'s

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
tking308
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

7-30 waters loads and ?'s

Post by tking308 »

I'm looking to get started in IHMSA and purchased a Contender w/ 7-30 waters bbl. I'm wondering what bullet weight to start with. Anyone use this caliber? Got a pet load?
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Re: 7-30 waters loads and ?'s

Post by Richard Pickering »

Welcome. Which barrel length did you buy ? The 7-30 is not as commonly used as the 7-tcu but there are folks who use it. It is certainly a viable choice. Some fine folks will be along to regale you with their favorites. Bullet choice will probably be the 130 to 140gr; but depending on the reputation of the Ram targets you encounter you might select the 120gr or 150gr. RP
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
tking308
Target Painter

Post by tking308 »

Thanks RP, I got a 14" barrel. I figured I'd start off with 140 gr and see how it goes.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B

You may know the 14'' may be used as an ''Unlimited'--iron sights'; also as Unl--Any sights; and as Half Scale any sights and if you swap to a rifle scope you could enter it in Unl-Standing. It takes a bit of doing with the scope base to be able to switch between scoped and iron sights but with some cogitating it can be done. For Unl-Standing you might want to focus on a 120gr and not run away with velocity. It takes a bit of ''learning'' to manage the rifle scope while standing. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
tking308
Target Painter

Post by tking308 »

Richard Pickering wrote: Bullet choice will probably be the 130 to 140gr; but depending on the reputation of the Ram targets you encounter you might select the 120gr or 150gr. RP
RP, I'm curious about what you mean "depending on the reputation of the Ram targets" Having never done this, I'm guessing some may be heavier and therefore need heavier bullets to knock down. If that's what you're talking about, why would you choose a lighter bullet? Todd
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B

Yes, Todd, some ranges have targets that have gathered a reputation. The Match Director cant make every target equal. We have some randomness built into the challenge. In a braked barrel on an XP I use 120gr bullets in Unl Standing so I reduce the chance of a scope in the nose (using a rifle scope). In a 10'' barreled TC 7-tcu I find I can use a 120 gr on C,P,T and move to a 130gr for the Ram if I need a bit more weight. Sometimes it is enough---sometimes not. You just have to try and go with what works on your range. Be sure you keep a log on your march results so you can keep sight settings and shooting conditions for reference. If you have 120s you might give them a try and adjust when you define a need.
I'm a bit surprised no one has offered their pet loads. Where do you plan to go for your IHMSA debut ? Do you have a range you can use to get basic sight settings ? RP
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

I use a 7X30 for US with a rifle scope. I use 150gr bullets in it as well as all my other 7MM silhouette guns. I used 140 gr bullets early on but lost too many rams with good hits. As Richard said, some ranges have tough rams. As far as a suggested load for the 7X30, I use H4895 in mine. Hodgdon's website suggests a charge weight of between 29 and 32 grains. I stay on the light side of those levels because as I said, even with the brake, this is my US gun with a rifle scope and I'd like to avoid any facial reconstruction. :D
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
tking308
Target Painter

Post by tking308 »

Thanks RP and High Standard for the help. I do have somewhere to sight in and I'll be going to a local match on Saturday. Unfortunately my gun won't be here yet so I'll be watching. I've already made contact with the match director and he's been very helpful. Todd
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B

Todd, be sure to take your eye and hearing protection. It's required if you are near the firing area. I hope your local crew will loan you a gun to use to get a ''hands on'' experience. Don't forget a pair of binocs. Spotting for someone is a great way to get an understanding of the match procedures and help a friend in the bargain. Arrive early and volunteer to help with set-up and stay late if possible. Your M.D. will make sure you have a good time. Oh-----we need a follow up report. RP
United States of America
tking308
Target Painter

Post by tking308 »

Well, I made it to my first match. The Contender I recently bought on Gunbroker hadn't come in yet (and still hasn't) but I went anyway. Jerry (the MD) and his wife Judy were very friendly and helpful. Even though my contender hadn't come in I did shoot in the "bordello" class with my Glock. More challenging than I thought it would be. I was holding so high, I couldn't see targets anymore and was still hitting low. It was a very low turnout being a holiday weekend but I think that was better because Jerry had time to coach me through everything and make sure I didn't violate any safety rules. All in all it was an informative trip and I'm glad I went. I'll be back next month with a more appropriate gun.