7mmTCU w/RCBS 145gr CB load recommendations?

Questions on all things reloading
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: 7mmTCU w/RCBS 145gr CB load recommendations?

Post by jmoore »

Based on testing so far, AA2015 seems to be the winner in the XP-100. Nothing terrible, powder-wise. Odd to note that regardless of load, POI was all within 2 MOA, mostly varying right-left. Weird that there was almost no elevation variance at 100 yards. I can't think of many other firearms where this has been the case.

Also discovered that the Hornady dies don't size the lower 1/3 of the case enough to prevent chambering difficulties at times with once fired .223 brass. 0.376" OD is as big as the XP-100 will chamber. Wasn't a problem with the TC! Had quite a few WW cases that were 0.377". They got well stuck just before the bolt was in the turn down position. Biggest one was about 0.380".

Bother. No body die for the 7mm TCU, and my .380 ACP dies have closed tops so that won't work.
Last edited by jmoore on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

AA2015 is the best powder in my XP 7TCU as well.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Too bad 4759 has been discontinued since it works well in the 7TCU with cast.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Many thanks to high standard 40 and the other forummers who have contributed to the XP-100 project.

Was able to fairly reliably place the RCBS 145-150 gr cast bullets on the 1/2 scale Rams at 200m in windy enough conditions to get critters toppling in the gusts! :D (First time I've ever even attempted the feat of shooting 1/2 scale BB targets.)

Both pistol and scope were purchased from forum members. Load was pure high standard 40. RCBS bullet sized on both bore and groove riding areas, AA2015 powder, etc.

Only 10 MOA change from 50 to 200m. WAY flatter shooting than my usual swaged lead .44 loads....

Thanks also to our hosts at LRGC for putting on a very useful practice match.

Hope to really put it through the wringer this year.
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

jmoore wrote:Many thanks to high standard 40 and the other forummers who have contributed to the XP-100 project.

Was able to fairly reliably place the RCBS 145-150 gr cast bullets on the 1/2 scale Rams at 200m in windy enough conditions to get critters toppling in the gusts! :D (First time I've ever even attempted the feat of shooting 1/2 scale BB targets.)

Both pistol and scope were purchased from forum members. Load was pure high standard 40. RCBS bullet sized on both bore and groove riding areas, AA2015 powder, etc.

Only 10 MOA change from 50 to 200m. WAY flatter shooting than my usual swaged lead .44 loads....

Thanks also to our hosts at LRGC for putting on a very useful practice match.

Hope to really put it through the wringer this year.
The practice day was very popular! We had a great turnout, even though it was a bit windy. We appreciate all the shooters that support our matches at LRGC, and hope that this practice day helped everyone a little to prepare for our first official match next Month
MC
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

AND NOW, back to the 10" barreled TC....

Got all distracted by the XP-100. The TC has yet to see any cast bullets through it. Hoping very much that it does better than the jacketed 139 bullets did! Quite poor showing, to date, thought it was the aperture sight trying to smack me in the face, but it's been no better with a scope mounted on the Ken Light rail with a "conventional" open rear sight.

Given the differences in chambers and rifling between the two, it's like starting all over with a different round.
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

I too have a Contender in 7TCU. I use the exact same loading procedure as my 7TCU XP-100. The difference is that I size the drive bands to a slightly different diameter and the seating depth is different as well. This is because the chamber dimensions are a little different. Nose sizing is the same for both guns. The load is the same though, using AA2015. My particular Contender is the most accurate I have ever owned. Now, if I could only shoot it to it's potential.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer