What scope do you like for .22 pistol small bore?

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
United States of America
Cactusboy
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

What scope do you like for .22 pistol small bore?

Post by Cactusboy »

I was thinking old-school -- long-eye relief scopes held at arm's length -- then watched some of the fellers shoot at the Sweetwater Rifle and Pistol Club match a couple of Saturdays ago, and most seemed to be shooting rifle scopes from prone, which makes sense as there is no recoil to be concerned with. I heard one fellow saying he likes relatively low-powered optics for this.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: What scope do you like for .22 pistol small bore?

Post by aggshooter »

I like anywhere from 6x to 15x. I use long eye relief for UAS, but rifle scopes for unlimited standing. IHMO, magnification over 15 will show every little shake and tremor, driving you crazy. The ability to see a gnats ass at 30 power is not important if your gun, ammo, position is only capable of inch and a half at 100y. YMMV.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Post by Alvin »

I've been using the tasco 6X and 4X for .22 silhouettes and also big bore for decades. Adjustable objective lens, 40mm, target turrets for adjustment, adjustable eye piece, and best of all, a VERY long eye relief, thanks to the 30mm tube. I'm shooting rear grip XP's and TC's in a split frog position and it's the only scope I've found that will give me a full picture at those distances. They were discontinued in the late 80's but I have been picking them up for years wherever I can find them. Very repeatable using the target turrets.
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

My Anschutz pistols with scopes usually wear the old Weaver Classic V16 or V24 scopes. The V24s don't have a lot of internal adjustment, so they need the Burris rings with the offset inserts to make the most of their capabilities. I run them up to full power, Lisa dials them down a bit. Especially good for 1/5th scale.

Another good scope was the Bushnell "AR223" in whatever variation that suits. (I.e., 2-7x, 3-9x, 4-16x) A couple of quirks: The parallax may have to be set at something other than the marked distance (easily noted with a sharpie on the turret) and there's no hash marks to let you know how many turns of the turret you have made. (Also easily corrected with a sharp scribe.)
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Cactusboy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:54 pm I was thinking old-school -- long-eye relief scopes held at arm's length -- then watched some of the fellers shoot at the Sweetwater Rifle and Pistol Club match a couple of Saturdays ago, and most seemed to be shooting rifle scopes from prone, which makes sense as there is no recoil to be concerned with. I heard one fellow saying he likes relatively low-powered optics for this.
If you intend to shoot prone, consider a variable power scope if shooting a gun that otherwise conforms to Practical Hunter rules. Then you can shoot UAS with the magnification turned up, and PH with the scope turned down to 6x. My granddaughter did exactly that at this year's IHMSA Championship.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
SteveJewels
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57964

Post by SteveJewels »

@jmoore What are Burris rings with the offset inserts? If possible, please post a link. Thanks!

I shoot smallbore, standing. I started with a Leupold 4.5-14X40 Tactical. Then a Leupold 6.5-20X40 EFR. Now a Leupold 24X BR-D that will adjust down to 30' for dry firing at home.
IHMSA 57964L

United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

SteveJewels wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:40 pm @jmoore What are Burris rings with the offset inserts? If possible, please post a link. Thanks!

Burris Signature Rings with the Pos-Align inserts. 1" scopes can be offset up to 0.040", 30mm only 0.020", IF you can find the 30mm offset inserts. They used to be fairly common, but not so much any more. Probably because folk can't follow instructions.