Charger for "flop"

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Charger for "flop"

Post by braud357 »

I have owned my Charger for about 3 years. Initially, I scoped it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x scope, and played with it a bit in UAS category. Then I decided to make it my Unlimited gun, and my brother helped me to drill 2 holes in the barrel so that I could install a globe front sight. I also discovered that an Bomar sight for a XP100 would mount to the scope base holes, so I was in business. I fired it for score a couple of times, but never had the time to really get it sighted in. I became curious about the "flop" (forward prone) shooting position that has become popular in IHMSA, and wanted to try it out. I was going to modify one of my Anschutz Exemplar's, but could not bear the thought of cutting one of those walnut stocks. Then, I thought about the Charger ! The accuracy of my factory barrel was not very impressive, so I started looking for a suitable aftermarket barrel. I found a Green Mountain rifle barrel that a fellow had shortened to 13.5", and bought it for $75. It installed with little effort, and I mounted a 12X Leupold to test fire it. I was only able to fire it at 25 yards, but it gave me a ragged, one-hole group using Wolf Match Target - MUCH better than the factory barrel. I did not want to spend a ton of cash for a scope before knowing if I could shoot the "flop", so I found a used 8-32X BSA scope. I have not really tried it out yet - but it looks promising !! I will keep ya'll posted !! --- Philip Braud
PS: The grip sleeve is coming off - I know that it probably violates the rules !

IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: Charger for "flop"

Post by 35isit »

Welcome to the darkside :ymdevil: Phillip. My initial trials at the "flop" position were mixed. I could hit a bunch of targets in a row then let one or more slip by. That was because I wasn't comfortable with MY equipment. I had problems with horizontal stringing. For me I had cut the grip off about a quarter inch too short and my gun was not heavy enough. With a chip added to the grip and the original Floppy Joe forend I got almost all of the stringing out. I Know those fellows in Ga are having great success with theirs and you should too. It takes some getting used to. When I get the extra money I will have a bigbore set up also. I'm thinking maybe a subsonic .300 Whisper or a 7tcu with SR4759 powder and 139s. Either should be low enough recoil to shoot in the flop without a brake.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Phil, I wonder how a Charger would work with a peep rear sight and a hooded front sight on a Charger for U-gun classes? Bout like the Martens FP sights only for unlimited. I'm just now playing with my Striker in the flop in UAS. The long eye relief scopes work OK for me in big bore but just don't cut the mustard in SB creedmore for some reason. Don't know if I can stretch out in the flop for 40 rounds but will give it a try.
Lynn
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
braud357
Class A

Post by braud357 »

Lynn, I know that several of the Oklahoma shooters are using peep sights with their "flop" guns - it seems to work for them ! I am using my Charger in smallbore UAS, but I am sticking to creedmore with my big bore guns. I just mounted a Weaver T-24 scope to mine, and shot it last Sunday. 40x40 + 4x5 shoot-offs. The dot reticle gives a much finer aiming point, and I shot the best groups I have ever shot with this gun. I know that the flop is not for everyone, but it is working for me ! One more note - I find that I need to hold on to the gun to get the best accuracy.
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Phil, Do you use center body hold with your scoped guns (BB and SB)? I found in BB holding body/leg for chickens and turkeys helps me maintain better windage. Seems like the cross hairs get lost in the body of the two birds when I try to hold center body. Using my Striker in BB, I hold b/l for first three animals with the load I shoot. Hold top of back on rams since I use a heavier bullet and let it drop into the body. Helps maintain good elevation on the rams. I'm still trying to figure out the best hold for SB and suspect that will change now that I am trying the flop. I am encouraged by hearing of your and others good scores with the Charger so I know it will just be a matter of practice to figure out what works for me. Thanks for the info.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
braud357
Class A

Post by braud357 »

Lynn, I use "point of aim - point of impact" with all of my scoped guns. I do this for shoot-offs. I had to learn to use all of the reticle when shooting a duplex reticle like the 2.5 x 8 Leupold has. I was really worried about the fine crosshair and dot on the Weaver T-24, but it seems to work great. I have no intention of shooting flop position in big bore. Is your Charger stock ? I know that some shooters have gotten good accuracy with the stock barrel - mine was not so good. I "lucked" upon a Green Mountain barrel that a fellow shortened to 13.5" - it turned mine into an accuracy rival to my Anschutz Exemplars. I do intend to spend a bit more money on my Charger - buying a KIDD 2 stage trigger assembly. It has proven to be a fun project for me; my UAS shooting had become a bit "stale",and learning the flop with my Charger has been a good experience. Sometimes change is a good thing !
Life Member - NRA
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

Phillip, Lynn, I can't hold point of aim. I have tried and tried. I don't know whether it's because I'm doing it wrong or what. I hold leg body on each animal except rams. On rams I hold belly line. I found this gave me the most consistent hold. It took my vertical stringing out and made me much more consistent. I try to imagine on each animal I am shooting a spot. I know the bullet is going to impact above the line of sight. But that is what works best for me. BTW I use a Contender in the flop.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Phil, I have installed a Jard trigger with their 1 pound spring. Great trigger. I just sent my bolt to Que on the RFC forum so he can blue print it for me. I just stripped all the finish inside and out on my Charger receiver. Read on RFC how the overspray on the inside of action can slow the bolt and reduce accuracy. I had lots of overspay on the inside and I could see where the top of the bolt was dragging. Probably will do a bake on finish just on the outside. Also had overspray in the hole where the front of the magazine locks and was giving me fits installing and removing mags. I am getting an aftermarket barrel and will be having it cut to 14" or there about. It is a .920 bull barrel and I don't know if that will make the gun too nose heavy. In the flop I don't think the extra weight will make a difference but shooting creedmore would get tiring with all that extra weight out front. I'm going to play some more with my ATI cut down stock but may take a big hunk of walnut I have and make a stock over the winter. AZguy stocks are nice but I hate to cut one up for the flop. I emailed him and he will make me a stock with a straight forend so I can shape it myself. I might do that if my stockmaking abilities fall short this winter. I might try what you did to your Ruger stock. I just don't like that rounded off forend that comes on the Ruger stock. Might have to graft a straight forend onto the Ruger stock and paint it. I agree, these are fun little guns to work on and shoot. Just like a BB gun though a person can get carried away tricking them out.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

I posted this in "Range Ramblings", but I figured I would post it here as well, since there is more Charger/Flop conversation here.

Well it was time to try something new, as I was stagnant at the Dead Frog position. Handgun scope wasn't going to work and there was no way I was going to chop on my Hipshot designed stock. So here's my Charger transformed from Dead Frog to Flop position. Cheap Blackhawk Axiom stock, 6-18x scope, everything else the same, Kidd barrel, bolt charging handle and 2 stage trigger.
Attachments
102_8491.JPG
102_8491.JPG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
flop.jpg
flop.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

Well so far my experiment going to the flop position has been a total FLOP. I cannot get comfortable and shake like of leaf. Even worse than before. Does anyone have any advise or maybe some pics to post so I might be able to emulate some variations of the shooting position? I enjoy IHMSA, but Am about ready to give up.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!