Front sight screw size for Anschutz Exemplar?

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Front sight screw size for Anschutz Exemplar?

Post by jmoore »

I have exhausted my selection of wee screws, even ordered some from Gun Parts listed as "sight base screws" in the Anschutz section. Nothing fits!

I'm hoping some of y'all can steer me in the right direction so that I can remove the tape holding on the front globe sight. (Which actually worked well enough the other day to get a rough zero!)

Plans are to use your basic Unertl/Redfield/Lyman target base with an added hole for the odd Anschutz spacing.

Thanks!
User avatar United States of America
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Re: Front sight screw size for Anschutz Exemplar?

Post by contender1121 »

My suspicion is that it is an M3 x .5. I got my Exemplar out that has had the front sight removed. The tap drill size for this thread is a #39. Tho it was probably drilled at the factory with a 2.53mm bit rather than a wire gauge bit. The butt end of a #39 will just go into the holes. Looking at a metric thread chart, the M3 x .5 is the closest thread.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

contender1121 wrote:My suspicion is that it is an M3 x .5. I got my Exemplar out that has had the front sight removed. The tap drill size for this thread is a #39. Tho it was probably drilled at the factory with a 2.53mm bit rather than a wire gauge bit. The butt end of a #39 will just go into the holes. Looking at a metric thread chart, the M3 x .5 is the closest thread.
Thanks for all that! It indeed is M3x0,5 thread. For some reason, I bypassed that option whilst looking at the metric screws at the hardware store, thinking that the 1/2 mm pitch would be too coarse. (It would have been solved immediately by having the pistol on site....)

At any rate, got a couple of Allen head screws and cut them to length. (They ended up being slightly different, and shorter than anticipated as the ends lost their lead-in taper.) The base modification was much simpler, just drilled (#31 drill) and counterbored (7/32" end mill worked well) one hole. The other existing hole was only slightly loose, but sufficient to support the screw head. 16mm separation between holes seemed to be spot on.

Going to try peep on peep in the Flop position. Sights (with fancy pants variable diopters front and rear) cost rather more than the pistol!
User avatar United States of America
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Post by contender1121 »

jmoore wrote:
contender1121 wrote:My suspicion is that it is an M3 x .5. I got my Exemplar out that has had the front sight removed. The tap drill size for this thread is a #39. Tho it was probably drilled at the factory with a 2.53mm bit rather than a wire gauge bit. The butt end of a #39 will just go into the holes. Looking at a metric thread chart, the M3 x .5 is the closest thread.
Thanks for all that! It indeed is M3x0,5 thread. For some reason, I bypassed that option whilst looking at the metric screws at the hardware store, thinking that the 1/2 mm pitch would be too coarse. (It would have been solved immediately by having the pistol on site....)

At any rate, got a couple of Allen head screws and cut them to length. (They ended up being slightly different, and shorter than anticipated as the ends lost their lead-in taper.) The base modification was much simpler, just drilled (#31 drill) and counterbored (7/32" end mill worked well) one hole. The other existing hole was only slightly loose, but sufficient to support the screw head. 16mm separation between holes seemed to be spot on.

Going to try peep on peep in the Flop position. Sights (with fancy pants variable diopters front and rear) cost rather more than the pistol!
Good to hear you got it figured out. I'm sure it would have made national news if you'd whipped out a Buck Rogers looking Exemplar in the middle of ACE hardware!! Off to a Super Max with you! Or maybe Gitmo.
I too am going the peep on peep route. I posted some pics over in Air Pistol of the mods I did on my IZH46-M. I'm starting with a fixed 2.8mm aperture on the front to see how it works on the air pistol course. I'll give the sights the acid test tomorrow night at OKC's match. I'm doing the same thing to a 14" TC small bore. I'll post some pics when done. YES, all of the German sights are expensive. Very good stuff tho.