Action advantage?

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Action advantage?

Post by 64XP-100 »

Is there a distinct advantage to using a specific type of action for loading the firearm for silhouettes? Are single-shots at a disadvantage because magazine-fed bolt actions or semi-auto fed actions saving reloading time that can be better used for sighting?
The answer is probably "no" because IHMSA is not really a "speed" event. Are there other thoughts?
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Re: Action advantage?

Post by jcunclejoe »

Certain actions are definitely faster than others, and then again the bolt action with a magazine is much faster than a single shot bolt action.

I am reminded of watching Lon Pennington shoot his MOA. There is a lot of things that must happen in shooting one of those,
Lon told me MOA means Must Operate Actively. He was not kidding, between shots was a flurry of activity before sighting could happen.

While silhouette is not a speed event, it is easy to become accustomed to using all or most of your time. 2 minutes is a lot of time to shoot 5 shots UNTIL something goes wrong and then it is not near enough time. Then you have to hurry and perhaps hurry a lot depending on the number of shots left.

Sighting for too long can have a bad effect on accuracy as well. Each person has to determine their own optimum amount of time for sighting. Too long and the target or sights may begin to fuzz, or you run out of oxygen because you have not taken a breath in the last 20-30 seconds. Everything in moderation, including time for sighting.

Just a few thoughts
Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
MarcusTas
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Action advantage?

Post by MarcusTas »

I was shooting a contender for about 3 years and only shoot a couple of 40s with it .
Then shot a cz 542 that I cut the barrel to 14 inches and made a stock for and had been shooting that until earlier this year and never shot a 40 with but came close .
Now using a Charger with a volquartsen barrels and trigger I have worked on with a stock I built and shooting in the flop .
I have found it a lot easier to shoot the charger. Shooting 40s every match unless I do something stupid. With less fatigue . Which I think is making the difference.
Marcus