"shooting out a 22 LR bbl.

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
Vietnam
BADDOG-0302
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 566

"shooting out a 22 LR bbl.

Post by BADDOG-0302 »

I was recently asked if a 10" SS 22 LR Match Bbl. I have for sale was "shot out" my reply was that a person could shoot a brick a day of 22 LR ammo for a year and the Bbl. would not be hurt.
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: "shooting out a 22 LR bbl.

Post by Jimologist »

I agree with you. I personally feel it is impossible to shoot out a LR barrel.
I also feel the worst thing you can do for it is clean it. :)
Crown is easy to damage and some are impossible to clean from the breech.
Clean as a last resort when it is so gummed up it won't shoot anymore.

JIm
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I bet more 22 barrels have been ruined by running cleaning rods through them than by shooting. Twenty-two ammo is dead soft lead and unless there is some type of grit embedded in the lead bullet there is no way that lead is going to wear down the barrel. I only use bore snakes in my barrels so no rods go down my barrels. I also don't clean my barrels other than the bore snake before the next match. Two or three passes with a "dry" snake is all it takes.

Now I know there are many people who are meticulous about cleaning barrels and that is OK too. Whatever a person does that they think makes them shoot better probably will make them shoot better since they are convinced that is the way to do things. Everyone has their own particular way of doing things and the amazing truth is all the different ways work for all those different people!!! Using cleaning rods from the muzzle is a good way to damage rifling without some type of guide but again a snake doesn't have that problem.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

Actually I was the one that ask Wayne that question more as a jest and conversation than anything trying to make a trade 8-}
But it does bring up a good question.
And yes I would figure a 22 rimfire would last as long or longer than anything.
And like Wayne replied about like shooting his cast bullets in the hornet very little wear.
Here’s my question
Most here have been playing this game since “1979”
How many barrels (any cal.) have you “shot out” to the point that they would not still shoot a 40 if you do your part? :-? and if so what cal. and what round count?

I've been playing with a 6.5 x 284 striker and I figure I'll burn out on it before it burns out on me ~o)
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Post by Alvin »

Have to agree with the group. I run a dry patch down thru the bore after the match and that's about it. Once a year I use a brush(nylon not brass). Otherwise keep the chamber brushed out, again with a nylon brush. I'm still using my .22 barrels that I bought back in the early '80's and they're still going strong. Still tight groups with them. Don't think I'll ever shoot out the barrels. On the other hand..I have rebarreled my .308...I'm on my third barrel at the present time. This one was built back in '79. Rebarreled around '91 and again around '02. Accuracy fell off, so I decided to replace the barrel. Can't tell you how many rounds down the barrel...still shooing well at the present time.
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

I've shot out one barrel in 30 years, a 6.5BR that lasted 10, 709 rounds.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
DaveC
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55835

Post by DaveC »

A couple of years ago a local range sold me a Ruger MK-II. The pistol had been a rental for 5 years and they figured it had about 100,000 rounds thru it, they told me the barrel was shot out and needed to be replaced. I gave them a few bucks and took it home. I ran several bronze patches thru it and magically both lands & grooves appeared. It shoots as well as any MK-II I shoot and the trigger, after 100,000 pulls, is pretty nice now.