Minimum Velocity

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
bmoc
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57612

Minimum Velocity

Post by bmoc »

This topic may have already been discussed, but what is the minimum velocity required for reliable knockdowns on rams? My pistol absolutely loves Lapua Pistol King (never shot it in competition), however, the muzzle velocity is only 950 fps, whereas most standard velocity stuff runs around 1050-1080 fps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unsub
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Minimum Velocity

Post by Unsub »

Pistol King is what my Freedom likes best. It has no problems on the rams.
Regards Peter.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

There are several variables mostly regarding targets that we cannot quantify. As you note, most rimfire ammo is rated 1080 for standard vel. Since we cannot safely vary velocity in rimfire ammo we are left to trial and error. However------some enterprising soul might undertake varying velocities via the 22 Hornet and try those to find the boundary between success and failure. Again, it would be valid against the specific set of targets. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
bmoc
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57612

Post by bmoc »

Thanks so much for the replies...this is great information! There is only one sanctioned match in my area this summer (Maine), so I don't really have the luxury of experimentation, but it's great to know from someone else first hand that uses Pistol King and it will take rams reliably. Thanks again fellas, and happy shooting!

Best,
Warren